DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have come across a 2009 Nitro that was leaking trans fluid from in front of the radiator. Which i believe to be the trans cooler. So i got new hard lines with gaskets from dealer. I replaced those that go from cooler to the rubber lines in the front of the engine. Put it all back together filled with coolant with no issues. I also cleaned out ends of rubber lines and replaced o rings and cleaned mating surface on cooler had it running for some time and drove it and there was no leaks. Job done problem fixed i thought well now the next day same problem its leaking fluid again havent taken grille off yet to look closer at the cooler while its running and warm in hope to find the exact problem. I am hoping that someone has either had ran into this issue before or has some input. And im wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to go to the auto parts store and buy a aftermarket cooler and mount in front of the stock one and run new line from that to the old lines which i will reattach to the rubber line in the front of motor i removed from it when i put the new ones in instead of hacking up the brand new lines. Im pretty sure im not the only one who has ran into this issue any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Maybe cooler is plugged, or return line plugged (or is bent/squashed/restricted); would do volume flow tests.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
will the old part still work or does it need any replacement when doing volume flow tests?
DK squat about 09 nitro: but FAIK if test is ok, no replacements or changes are needed.

... Follow FSM volume/time and procedure for test, and be sure to "shut off engine immediately" after volume is collected.

... Normal/easiest first test is to undo "trans output line" at cooler; measure volume from output line (this tests both pump and output line).
... Next test is often to undo "return" line at trans, test volume from return line, if it's ok all is good and your done (this tests pump, both/all lines, and cooler/s).

... You "may" need to isolate and test cooler; and you may isolate and test as you choose.

... "Likely" all you need is: proper size clean container; a clock to count the seconds; and a buddy to start, then "immediately stop engine" when container is full; and a few extra quarts of trans fluid.

... Again, DK new vehicles, or your trucks volume/time or procedure, so follow FSM closely (I'm guessing it will still be easy to do).
... Ensure trans is full before start of test/s, and refill as needed to keep it full; and always shut off engine immediately after container is full, and I'm guessing? trans will need to be in N before start of test.

FSM will give you the info needed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.