DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to up grade my front speakers to components will i get highs and lows with them . I heard the front door speakers are bass spekaers will the component speaker with cross over work ok .

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
First thing you want to check is what the resistance of the factory speakers are. I havent dont a lot of the new ram's with infinity, but most of the older models used an 8ohm speaker. Which means that if you wire in a 4ohm speaker, you will be overworking the factory amp quite a bit and may end up damaging your entire audio system. However, if they are factory 4 ohm than you should just need to add the crossover in using the factory speaker wires.
HTH

Kenny

·
Tricked out Ram
12,615 Posts
The factory speakers dont say how many ohms they are at least the ones in the back doors don't.
IDK what my Infinitys are but I can check later when I get home. However, you can use a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) to check the resistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
IDK what my Infinitys are but I can check later when I get home. However, you can use a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) to check the resistance.
you cannot directly measure the speaker impedance with a VOA meter the ohm meter will give you a measure of resistance. not the same. Impedance is the measure of resistance to current flow in alternating current circuits. It is calculated at a standard frequency (usually 1Khz) and varies over the frequency spectrum.
tg

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
I want to up grade my front speakers to components will i get highs and lows with them . I heard the front door speakers are bass spekaers will the component speaker with cross over work ok .
It sounds like you're asking if you can use the factory Infinity passive crossovers with aftermarket speakers. The answer is "no" for the following reasons:

Reason 1. The Infinity speakers are crossed over at 500Hz. It is very unlikely that you will find a component set that matches this frequency. I did a bit of research last year on the 2007 Rams, and posted the following: (sorry for the re-post)

tdogshemi said:
What size are those drivers, and what frequency will they being doing their duty?
AudioNutz said:
...Blah, Blah, Blah... BUT... They are currently being powered by the original Infinity amplifier, so they are crossed over much higher than they are capable of playing. What frequency is that, you ask? At first I thought, "Hmmm, Good question", because nobody knows what frequencies the Infinity "Premium" sound system is crossed over at...

But then I whipped out my RTA: :D

The dash drivers are rolling off about 400Hz.

The midbass drivers are rolling off about 500Hz.
Reason 2. Passive crossovers are impedance changing devices. These devices are designed specifically to work on a particular impedance speaker, or load. For example, let's look at the math required for a very simple high-pass crossover: 0.159/(C x R) = F
C - is the capacitance value (in Farads).
R - is the impedance of the load (speaker) you will be using.
F - is the crossover frequency you will get.

So... In the example above, where the crossover is set to 400Hz, and the Infinity speakers are 2ohms, you will need a capacitor around 200uF (microFarad)

Use that same exact capacitor on a 4ohm speaker, and the high-pass frequency is going to change to 200Hz.

you cannot directly measure the speaker impedance with a VOA meter the ohm meter will give you a measure of resistance. not the same. Impedance is the measure of resistance to current flow in alternating current circuits. It is calculated at a standard frequency (usually 1Khz) and varies over the frequency spectrum.
The first part of this statement is correct. You cannot directly measure the speaker impedance with a VOA meter.

BUT... The term "resistance" does not fit when applied to the concept of impedances of speakers. Sorry to copy from a previous post, but I didn't feel like re-typing...
AudioNutz said:
The impedance is the measure of opposition to a "sinusoidal alternating electric current".
Sinusoidal: As in a sine wave created by musical energy.
Alternating electric current: As in the wattage coming from the amplifier.

Your speakers will have an (average) impedance rating for each voice coil. Connecting one or more voice coils together may raise or lower their combined impedance. Wiring two voice coils in parallel will usually lower their impedance, while wiring two voice coils in series will usually raise their impedance.

So in summary, the impedance would be your speakers measure of opposition (Some might incorrectly say "resistance") to your amplifiers musical energy. (And yes, you do need some opposition)

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
At least you started with "the answer is no". Most of that flew over my head, and I like to think I know a fair amount about car audio.

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
I've done a fair amount of research on the acoustics of the Dodge trucks, specifically towards improving the Infinity sound system. You can read some suggestions here:

Calling AudioNutz

Component Door speakers

There's even a write up for a "How To:" article here:
Build custom A-Pillar panels for the 3rd Gen Dodge Ram

It's all a secret, so don't tell anyone. :secret2:
Oh I'm totally in on that secret. I put my tweeters in the a-pillar as a blatant rip off of your work. Where do I send the royalties check?

I wasn't able to put my midbass/midrange up there, as it would obstruct my view too much, but it blends well enough in the doors with some TA.

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
...Where do I send the royalties check?
Send it to me, of course!

...I wasn't able to put my midbass/midrange up there, as it would obstruct my view too much, but it blends well enough in the doors with some TA...
That's really too bad. Mine didn't obstruct the view at all, since they were built lower than your field of view. The sound benefits were huge when compared to having the midrange in other locations.

Plus... They're for sale now...:secret2:

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
Well it helps to have newfangled point source drivers where a tweeter isn't necessary. Were those 6.5" drivers? The '04 interior rises up pretty substantially around the gauge cluster. It wouldn't have been too bad, but enough to make me decide not to make the sacrifice.

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
Well it helps to have newfangled point source drivers where a tweeter isn't necessary...
New fangled? Point source drivers have been around longer than you or I have been alive.

...Were those 6.5" drivers?
No, 4". The midbass were still in the doors.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
No, 4". The midbass were still in the doors.
Try a 6.5" with 3" mounting depth right above the speedometer. Of course I'd only be hitting dumb kids that run out into the middle of the road, and we could do without a few more of them. I'd like to go with a 3 way frontstage, because I'm getting tired of my current speakers, but doubt that'll be happening anytime soon with a tighter budget. Plus my head unit is running my 2 way front active, and I'd have to buy some more hardware to make a 3 way active work.

·
I am your Father
2,365 Posts
Yeah,
This was a 3-way setup, which is definitely the best way to go in the Ram. The midbass driver remained in the door, but the midrange and tweeter were in the A-Pillars.

I've got a set of these same Point Source drivers in 5-1/4's for my new top secret project. :secret2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.