DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference in On demand vs on the fly elctric shift transfer cases.

My dealer has located 2 trucks that fit pretty close with what I want to buy, can someone explain a little bit about the two different systems. One of the trucks they have found has electric shift on the fly and the other has a 395.00 option called elctric shift on demand transfer case. They both are switch opperated, just wondering what is what in how they actually function?

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 04 that I traded off a year ago had the $395 on demand option. This is an all wheel drive transfer case, with no 2 wheel drive option. It has AWD, 4h, N, 4l settings the other is 2wd,4h,n,4l. There is a cluch in the transfer case that engages when the computer detects slip. I really liked it in the winter time. When you are driving down the highway or normally around town it stays in 2wd. Mine was the 4x4 offroad model with the limited slip rear end. It would never spin tires. If you panned it going around a corner it, the front end seemed to pull you right around. I liked it. The only bad thing is that most people say you shouldn't jack them up (not even sure you can get a lift kit for them) Presuming this is because the front axles and drive shaft turn all the time, regardless of the range you are in. I had my truck for 2 winters and loved it, and had no problems. Guess just ask yourself if you ever want to jack it up or not

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 06' Commander is a Hemi, and it is AWD, all the time, and my part time 4 wheel drive Hemi work truck gets a solid 2mpg better mileage. My Suburban also get about 2 mpg better than the AWD Commander (11-14mpg). Thats why am not intersted in owning another full time AWD truck.

Based in the pic if the 06 and conformation the 07 is the same. I have the feeling the 04 must have just been different system. Becasue there is clearly a 5 position switch in that 06 and one of those positions is a 2 wheel mode. The other electronic transfer case is only a 4 position switch in 2008 it is standard on 08 Laramie's
2 wh
4 wh hi
4 wh lo
neutral

Unless they went back to the 04 type in 08' I think my dealers service department is confused. This info you provided about the 04's might have just explained that confusion. Thank you

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is that pic I mentioned. I started another thread in the genneral forum since I had not had any responces out of this one. Here the pic I mentioned that was posted in the other thread.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thats what the 4x4 control on my 07 looks like. My 4x4 commander is not awd and has a similiar switch. Which 4x4 system do you have on your jeep? There are several different levels of the 4x4 system on the commander.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an 06 LTD Commander with the Hemi, I belive they call it quadratrac II not posative on what they called it, but the Hemi Commanders were only available in AWD or 2wd in 2006, not sure about the 07's and 08's.

Update. I found a pic of a 2008 ram on auto trader and the 08's do have the same on demand switch as the 06 and 07s except here it says hi, the 08's say lock .

·
Registered
533 Posts
Actually now that you mention it my 07 has lock instead of hi. I have an 06 4.7 Commander 4x4 and mine definitely has 2wd. I hate the 4.7 though. i tried trading it and they offered me like 13000 for it. It is low mileage limited 4x4 in immaculate condition. I was so offended that I was going to buy a new ram anyway but couldn't even talk to that dealer any more LOL.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew the resale was soft on the Commanders but I had never herd it was that soft.

Here is way you might be able to get a decent price (maybe not decent but a better price) for it. Here is what you do, book it out on Kelley blue book . com (KBB.com) and look at the wholesale trade in value. Then look at Carmax.com and find there nearest location. They typically will always pay KBB trade in value for your Car or Truck, rather you buy a new one from them or they write you check and you do what ever you want. That is pretty much a Car Max policy and modo. I sold them a GMC reg cab 4x4 that I had been trying to sell for 2 months, I was actually asking less than they gave me for it. I took the sign out befor I went in to get my appraisal. They are strickly, I mean a strickly no preasure, no hassle company to work with. They are also nation wide.

·
Banned
506 Posts
Heres my take on it:

2WD -- AUTO -- HI -- 4WD LO
&
2WD -- AUTO -- LOCK -- 4WD LOW

are the EXACT same thing. I'm betting it works ALOT like the GM AutoTrac transfercases. As one member alreadly mentioned, in auto, it stays in 4x2 untill XX% of slippage is detected and then kicks in the front axle. And umm.... Unless Dodge added a CAD to the front diffs sometime between 2003 and 2008, your front CVs, diff, and drive line ALWAYS spin. Its just a matter of if it has powet to it or not. As far as lifting the trucks with the "AWD" option... I dont see how it would be any different. I could DEFINATELY see getting a new front drive shaft installed with a CV joint. The GM guys have to do that when they lift their Auto-Trac trucks.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that I know its not full time AWD, I actually would rather have this option. I have been driving my Suburban in auto trac mode fo almost 2 weeks now in the snow and ice. I like that feature, I just hate full time AWD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.