DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I had an 05 Ram 1500 that had major brake problems. (Had 3 sets of brakes and the rotors turned twice and then replaced once within 33,00 miles) I was hoping that Dodge would improve on thier braking system over time so I traded the truck in on an 07 Ram 1500 and guess what? The SAME thing is happening. I had the rotors turnes once already at 11,00 miles and now at 22,000 the pulsating is back 10 fold. Of course now it is not covered under warranty after 12,000 miles so it has to come out of my pocket if I want to have them fixed. I have been reading alot of horror stories about 1500's and thier crappy brakes online and it seems that Dodge is not standing behind this "obvious" problem they have with thier binders they put on the trucks.

My question is, if I have to pay to have this fixed again, are there better rotors and/or pads I can use so that I dont have to go through the same thing every 10,000 miles?

If I keep complaining to the service manager at the dealership, will they eventually just replace the rotors just to shut me up? (I doubt it)

Anyhow, anyone else ever had the same trouble? If so, how did you resolve it short of buying a different brand truck?

Thanks alot in advance.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yep had the same problem 06 started at about 12,000

·
locogk
5,856 Posts
i use to work for napa the rotors and pads always sold great and didnt have returns due to manfacturing defects just when the pads were replaces due to warrenty (limited life time) i know i would buy napa brake rotors and pads just my $.02

·
Too much violence
3,892 Posts
I have 9,000 miles on my 07.5, and I have never had a problem with my rotors. In fact, I never knew there was issue with the 07's. That said, I'd keep pressing the ealership to keep paying for them just the same, if I were you.

·
Registered
778 Posts
my 06's started warping around 20,000, i took them off and had kragen grind them smooth for about 15 bucks. I go easier on my breaks now

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm dogging mine out so I can talk my wife into a new set of calipres, rotors, pads from Moe's.

·
Nut up or Shut up
1,412 Posts
I have used Powerslot rotors and Hawk brake pads on a few previous trucks with good result. I know Moes Performance sells them and thats where I am gonna order mine from when I need them. I think another good brand is S.b.c? They make a "Green" pad thats supposed to good for large trucks and suvs. Moe had them in stock too I believe.

·
Registered
430 Posts
lol...hey jeff did you get the bars today?
Yeah man...I was going to take a pic but I didn't get them cleaned in time. I ran out of Goof Off. That sticky double tape stuff on there was kicking my butt. They look good though. A bolt shy here and a couple of nuts..but for the price I'm happy. I'll get some pics posted. Hopefully my rotors will warp sooner with the added weight. :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
I can't believe that the rotors are no longer under warranty. Anyway I swapped mine out at around 10,000 miles. By that time I had the 35 inch tires and topper and my stopping was sub-par. They were pretty blue at the time. I purchased the power slot rotors and couldn't be happier and I am still running the stock pads.

·
hemi '07
200 Posts
36000 miles on my '07....no probs yet.... :SPIN:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Do you tow heavy alot? It doesnt seem like this is a major problem or I would think more people would have chimed in. I hate to say it, but isince you have had problems in the past maybe you need to change your driving style.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I thought I had the same thing on my 07. I took it into the dealership and turned out to be the tie rod ends were loose. I don't know why, but the vibration was only when applying the brakes?? Tho after they replaced the tie rods the problem went away. They covered the cost of the parts an labor.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi folks, I had an 05 Ram 1500 that had major brake problems. (Had 3 sets of brakes and the rotors turned twice and then replaced once within 33,00 miles) I was hoping that Dodge would improve on thier braking system over time so I traded the truck in on an 07 Ram 1500 and guess what? The SAME thing is happening. I had the rotors turnes once already at 11,00 miles and now at 22,000 the pulsating is back 10 fold. Of course now it is not covered under warranty after 12,000 miles so it has to come out of my pocket if I want to have them fixed. I have been reading alot of horror stories about 1500's and thier crappy brakes online and it seems that Dodge is not standing behind this "obvious" problem they have with thier binders they put on the trucks.

My question is, if I have to pay to have this fixed again, are there better rotors and/or pads I can use so that I dont have to go through the same thing every 10,000 miles?

If I keep complaining to the service manager at the dealership, will they eventually just replace the rotors just to shut me up? (I doubt it)

Anyhow, anyone else ever had the same trouble? If so, how did you resolve it short of buying a different brand truck?

Thanks alot in advance.

Eddie
I had the same problem on my 04 Quad cab. The rear brakes had deep grooves at 1700 miles I took it back four times before thay did anything.I told them that when I tried to stop the steering wheel would vibrate in my hands thats when they replaced everything. and that was after the twelve thousand mile crap. You can always call the dept. of transportation and complain, If enough of us do that they will be forced to have a re call. Use Google .

·
locogk
5,856 Posts
ram brakes a never ending issue i bought a brand new 85 ram and it had the same brake issues you would think after all this time dodge would get it right i had to take my 85 to 3 different dealers so thay could get it straight

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.