DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am looking to get an 07 6.7 MEGA cab 4X4 but I have been reading on here a few bad things about this new motor like not letting it idle and having to drive it on the freeway for extended times why is all of this, by the way this will be my first diesel. is it all just little stuff that is more annoying or are there things I really need to watch out for, any Help would be great.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The early 6.7L's seem to be the main ones with any problems. They're all emissions related. The 6.7L is the first engine on the US Diesel market to adopt 2010 Federal Emission standards. Dodge uses the Bluetec system to accomplish this. Bluetec has been used in Europe for several years successfully. The 2007 6.7L's issues are computer control/sensor related to get the Bluetec system working correctly. In June and July computer updates seem to have cured the problems. On Oct. 31st Dodge issued a recall that specificied the already released computer update along with replacement of the O2 control module.

From what I have seen people who purchased their 2007's after the firmware update have had little to no problems. Same with 2008's.

I bought mine in Sept although it was manufactured in Feb. I now have 3000 miles on it with zero problems.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
If you cannot go out on the highway about once a month for 45 minutes then the 6.7 may not be for you. I have had zero issues on my 08 but I go out on the open road for an hour trip about once every three weeks for a visit. The earlier 07's seemed to be much more problematic than the later build 07's and the 08's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help. now what about if I were to add an aftermarket exhaust, would this fix most of mt problems with the new emissions or just cause more

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
The only exhaust for the 6.7 right now is the HS Performance DPF delete and it isn't perfected yet.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
That is a muffler delete and since there really isn't a muffler on the 6.7's, its only a resonator, its a waste of money. If you notice it is a DPF back, not a turbo back or a cat back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts