DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, so apologies if I get anything wrong.

I've owned my '07 4.7 for a little over a year now, and have done what I consider to be decent modding, mostly in an attempt to make it feel less underpowered. Here's a list of applicable mods done: semi-cold air intake, new plugs/coils, Flowmaster catback, 68.5mm throttle body, Superchips performance tune. Highway speeds are fine, and there's no knocking or idle issues, but the truck still feels like it's struggling. Compared to my previous '95 5.9 Ram and my sister-in-law's '04 5.4 F150 (both bone stock) I just can't get over the seeming lack of power. I know the engine's smaller, but is this really the best I can hope for, or am I overlooking something? TIA!

·
Red Trucker
2,508 Posts
Your "performance" mods really aren't:
semi-cold air intake - what does that even mean lol? Regardless, very few CAI's on the market are worth anything beyond noise and generally show higher IAT's than the stock airbox; they're just louder.
new plugs/coils - that is standard (plugs anyway) for just keeping it in tune. New coils certainly don't hurt, but they aren't "performance enhancing", they are "stock performance maintaining", even if you got so called higher output aftermarket coils; they aren't any more effective than stock coils.
Flowmaster catback - noise (and rust). Not a personal fan of rustmasters, but to each his own. Without running full exhaust with headers and non-factory Y pipe with a freer flowing catback, that's all it's good for.
68.5mm throttle body - if you look at an internal combustion engine simply, it's just a fancy air pump. Pulls air in, spits air out. You put a bigger TB to let more air in, but what changed to a) make us of that air and b) expel it? Answer? Nothing. Fuel delivery has not been changed (larger injectors) nor has mechanical timing (cams) nor has the worst part of the exhaust (the crimpy factory Y pipe).
Superchips performance tune - THIS got you the most, with an actual slight remap of fuel and timing. Best case you picked up 20hp.
2002-2007 4.7 in the Rams is only rated 235hp/295tq; you haven't said what size cab you have or what gears but that's a small bore, somewhat short stroke small displacement V8 trying to drag a 4800-5500lb truck using the one of the absolute worst transmissions they ever put in these trucks (42RLE is actually worse). The 545RFE is an absolute power leech (on average 20% for stock engines) which would put your power to the wheels under 200hp. Stock 3rd gen 5.7's are 345hp and generally are only putting 280-290 to the wheels.
Comparing it to your previous Ram with a 360 isn't fair; HP output may be about the same, but torque peaks and displacement are big differences (not to mention your 95 probably weighed less). That radically smaller bore requires correspondingly smaller valves to avoid shrouding and cuts down airflow; 360 Magnum heads flow quite well, as do the Ford SOHC heads, though neither as well as a hemi head.
Gears would be the first best mod here. Give that baby 8 better mechanical advantage. after that it's hard parts, man. Cams, intake, custom tuning, maybe even better heads. Forced induction seems to do quite a bit to these little buggers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your "performance" mods really aren't:
semi-cold air intake - what does that even mean lol? Regardless, very few CAI's on the market are worth anything beyond noise and generally show higher IAT's than the stock airbox; they're just louder.
new plugs/coils - that is standard (plugs anyway) for just keeping it in tune. New coils certainly don't hurt, but they aren't "performance enhancing", they are "stock performance maintaining", even if you got so called higher output aftermarket coils; they aren't any more effective than stock coils.
Flowmaster catback - noise (and rust). Not a personal fan of rustmasters, but to each his own. Without running full exhaust with headers and non-factory Y pipe with a freer flowing catback, that's all it's good for.
68.5mm throttle body - if you look at an internal combustion engine simply, it's just a fancy air pump. Pulls air in, spits air out. You put a bigger TB to let more air in, but what changed to a) make us of that air and b) expel it? Answer? Nothing. Fuel delivery has not been changed (larger injectors) nor has mechanical timing (cams) nor has the worst part of the exhaust (the crimpy factory Y pipe).
Superchips performance tune - THIS got you the most, with an actual slight remap of fuel and timing. Best case you picked up 20hp.
2002-2007 4.7 in the Rams is only rated 235hp/295tq; you haven't said what size cab you have or what gears but that's a small bore, somewhat short stroke small displacement V8 trying to drag a 4800-5500lb truck using the one of the absolute worst transmissions they ever put in these trucks (42RLE is actually worse). The 545RFE is an absolute power leech (on average 20% for stock engines) which would put your power to the wheels under 200hp. Stock 3rd gen 5.7's are 345hp and generally are only putting 280-290 to the wheels.
Comparing it to your previous Ram with a 360 isn't fair; HP output may be about the same, but torque peaks and displacement are big differences (not to mention your 95 probably weighed less). That radically smaller bore requires correspondingly smaller valves to avoid shrouding and cuts down airflow; 360 Magnum heads flow quite well, as do the Ford SOHC heads, though neither as well as a hemi head.
Gears would be the first best mod here. Give that baby 8 better mechanical advantage. after that it's hard parts, man. Cams, intake, custom tuning, maybe even better heads. Forced induction seems to do quite a bit to these little buggers.
Great points; thank you. Guess I shouldn't have classified most of these as mods, as I was really just trying to indicate that the truck isn't a junker that has a ton of issues, and even with that it still feels like it's choking a bit. This truck is a 4x4 quad cab, so definitely weighs more than my '95 did. Gears might be worth looking into; I've put quite a bit into the truck including complete suspension replacement, etc, so it's not a bad base to start from.

·
Red Trucker
2,508 Posts
Gears might be worth looking into; I've put quite a bit into the truck including complete suspension replacement, etc, so it's not a bad base to start from.
Ring and pinion installs at both ends gets pricey unless you have experience doing it yourself but are generally worth it in the end. I have a 2wd 5.7 that absolutely loved 4.56's. Maybe not as much at faster highway speeds but even 75mph on cruise ain't bad. Airram.com is your best friend with 4.7 mods. Hot rodding a 3rd gen 4.7 is an even bigger pain in the ass than modding a 3rd gen 5.7.

·
Registered
22 Posts
thats a nice write up there HemiLonestar. i wish everything i purchase was broken down into simple and easy to explain bullet points like this lol

·
Red Trucker
2,508 Posts
thats a nice write up there HemiLonestar. i wish everything i purchase was broken down into simple and easy to explain bullet points like this lol
Try writing maintenance procedure cards geared towards the average junior enlisted military member lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts