DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is bugging me for a new car and we are very interested in the durango! Wondering if I should wait for the 06 models being they might have undergone restyling & upgrades ? Does anybody know, what if any, differences there will be in the 06 models? .....And How do I find out what I should be paying for an 05? I know there are lots of options. I Think factory loaded 4x4, is what she is looking at. Is the navigation system worth the extra cost? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
198 Posts
You won't find any restyling in the '06. '05 is only the second year in the 2nd generation Durango. Unless you have a reason, the '05 is a great SUV at a great price.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unconfirmed rumor that there will be no more 70/70000 drive train warranty in 06

·
Registered
116 Posts
DC are saying that MDS will be offered with the hemi D in 06, at least thats what some of the admin on dodge talk are quoting

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually the 7/70 going away is confirmed, at least at the Dealership I work at, it has been the talk of the dealership since we heard about it. No more 7/70 :crazy:

As for the MDS, supposed to be in all Hemi's in the near future as well as the 5.7L being upgraded to the 6.1L.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks like you'll lose some warranty going for the '06, but the gas savings with the MDS might just pay for an extended warranty.

·
Registered
724 Posts
papy84 said:
My wife is bugging me for a new car and we are very interested in the durango! Wondering if I should wait for the 06 models being they might have undergone restyling & upgrades ? Does anybody know, what if any, differences there will be in the 06 models? .....And How do I find out what I should be paying for an 05? I know there are lots of options. I Think factory loaded 4x4, is what she is looking at. Is the navigation system worth the extra cost? Thanks for the help!
The navigation is worth every penny. Not only do you get an instant mapquest, your radio also gets a face lift. The display for the radio and MP3 is much more user-friendly. You actually get to scroll through all the MP3s and pick out which one you want to listen to with the navigation system.

With the MDS system, is it possible to upgrade or convert our current Hemis to MDS?

·
Registered
116 Posts
With the MDS system, is it possible to upgrade or convert our current Hemis to MDS?[/QUOTE]

Thats what i am hoping, my highway trips would be a little easier

·
Registered
365 Posts
maybe just some small things will be upgrade it in but as you can see from the pass it took almost 6 years before the did any big changes i will asume it will be the same way unless they find some thing realy wrong with the new set up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe a Durango SRT/8?

Mmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought an '05 yesterday. According to the saleman, there's no major changes in the '06 (could have been just trying to sale a car). Everything i read, there is no confirmation that the MDS will be in the 06 models. One plus is you should be able to get a great deal right now. Dealers are trying to move the 05. Got mine at invoice plus the $4k rebate plus 0% finance for 3 years. Look Dodge and chryslerfinancial site, the dealer supposedly didn't know about rebate AND financing until i showed them the site!

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
First of all, WELCOME to the new folks who posted on this thread! We're glad to have you as DodgeTalk members. :D

MDS will be standard on all Chrysler Group vehicles with the 5.7-liter Hemi in 2006. That means all Durango Hemis will have it.

The extra powertrain warranty offer is coming to an end. That was formally announced this week, but it's been known for months.

There may be a couple minor trim changes to the Durangos for '06, but besides MDS, no major changes are expected. A mild facelift is likely in '07.

·
Registered
53 Posts
FreeLantz said:
First of all, WELCOME to the new folks who posted on this thread! We're glad to have you as DodgeTalk members. :D

MDS will be standard on all Chrysler Group vehicles with the 5.7-liter Hemi in 2006. That means all Durango Hemis will have it.

The extra powertrain warranty offer is coming to an end. That was formally announced this week, but it's been known for months.

There may be a couple minor trim changes to the Durangos for '06, but besides MDS, no major changes are expected. A mild facelift is likely in '07.
Thanks for the info....

Does anyone know what is involved with an MDS enabled engine?

Can a current 5.7 be retrofitted?

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
smollicasr said:
Can a current 5.7 be retrofitted?
That question has been asked repeatedly, but I have yet to get an answer. I would think it's possible, but costly, maybe even cost-prohibitive. Perhaps one of the service guys who are posting in this area will have some insight.

·
Registered
724 Posts
A drawback to the MDS system is that it makes aftermarket exhaust sound funny with a weird drone on the highways.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The MDS sounds great but sounds like it only activates on highway, I am not as concerned about highway mileage as I am city anyway. Not so sure I want only some cylinders firing at times. Would rather have all eight doing the job easily wearing evenly. Oh well just my opinion. I'm sure it will be a great feature for some. :cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I confirmed this with the Service Manager here at our dealership. How the MDS works is that it stops the flow of fuel into 4 cylinders and also stops the sparkplug from firing, so the valves still open and oil is still being pumped to the cylinders that are 'deactivated'. So the wear would be even throughout the block. As for when it activates, it is when the vehicle is 'cruising', regardless of speed, it will shut off 4 cylinders. Aceleration will immediately bring the engine back into 8 cylinder mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone for providing great information. What in car buying for dummies terms is MDS? and again, where can I find information about invoices for the durango, or what can I expect to pay for a loaded one. & is that navigation system really worth it?

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
papy84, here is a good explanation of MDS I found on Google...... there is more here on DT if you perform a search for this subject.

AUBURN HILLS, MI -- Chrysler's 5.7L Hemi V8 engine is getting big coverage lately since it is featured in the automaker's two newest cars, the rear-drive Chrysler 300C and the Dodge Magnum station wagon, as well as the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Unlike the original Hemi that has a hemi-spherical shape of the top of the combustion chamber, the new design incorporates high-volume, fully functioning cylinder deactivation. The Multi-Displacement System (MDS) alternates between high fuel economy four-cylinder mode when less power is needed and V8 mode for more demanding use.

It creates room for extra-large valves that deactivate eight of the valve lifters, which stops combustion and reduces loss of energy by pumping air through these cylinders. The transition from eight to four cylinders is supposed to take 40 milliseconds, according to Chrysler. MDS allows an engine with 390 lb.-ft, of torque at 4,000 rpm and 340 horsepower at 5,000 rpm to provide the fuel economy of a large V6 or smaller V8 engine.

To convert the engine, it is necessary to replace eight of the valve lifters with deactivating lifters, adding four solenoids into the engine block and connecting them with a wiring harness and replacing the camshaft. As a result of the integration, the base and MDS engines have the same performance characteristics, except for fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.