DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it starts, then dies. Ran fine last night, got in this morning for work and it started like normal but died. Restarted after several cranks then died. I was running late for work so I got keys for another car and tried it again as I went by. Same thing, starts, then dies. It has a 1/2 tank of gas, doesn't act like fuel related to me anyway. I'm thinking electrical. Any other thoughts or insights?

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Might be a problem with the security system. Any codes or check engine light.

·
'11 5.7L R/T Classic
4,095 Posts
First thing I'd do is check the battery, and maybe the alternator. Have you changed the battery in the last 3 or so years? I say check those first because they're free to check. If it's a fuel issue, you'll be getting into some money. You might also check your air filter. If you can describe the "dying" a little more it might help. Is it a low rpm struggle, or just a complete abortion (good, good, good, good, dead). When it doesn't start, what's going on? Are you getting clicky poppy sounds, or is the starter engaging, but it's never turning over? A fairly easy thing to check is, with the key in the ACC position, check and see if your radio presets are still there. If the battery is drained, they'd probably be gone. It's no substitute for a battery tester, but if they are gone, you know it's electrical. If they're not, that still doesn't rule the battery out.

Also might be worth checking the spark plugs.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
It's the key; my Jeep GC did the same thing. I had the key programmed and it worked just fine.

Do you have an auto-start system? You could start with the auto-start until then.

:)

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
This could be anything really. Could be a battery to a crank sensor. How long does it run for before it dies? When you put the key ON do you hear the fuel pump prime up?

What was the last thing you did to your truck? Mod wise? Was it recent? What was the most recent thing you've done to your truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.