DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2005 Ram 1500 with the Hemi and it had no problems with it. I drove it three hundred miles home with no problems. It now will not start unless you hold the gas pedal to the floor. Once it starts it runs fine with no problems. I didn't know if the had a TPS sensor since they were drive by wire and this could be causing it. I have seen on the internet that other people have been having the same problem I can't find what it took to fix it. Please help!

·
Ramistered User
6,419 Posts
throttle position sensor? The sensor is intregrated with the thottle body on the hemi Just a guess

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
They're not entirely drive-by-wire. There is still a linkage from the go-pedal to the engine room. First I've heard of this. It sounds like the "old days" when you had to hold the pedal down 'cause the carb was flooded.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello,

I also have a 2005 Ram 2500 with a 5.7 Hemi, and my truck is doing the exact same thing. I have owned this truck since new, it has been to the dealer 3 times for this and they tell me there is nothing wrong, of course it never does this when they have the truck. They did replace the entire throttle body, it did not help. My truck has only done this 5-6 times. I have noticed this only happens in temps below 40 degrees F. That is the only thing I have been able to match each time this happens. It almost seems like it is not getting any gas or something. I am wondering if this has something to do with moisture/condensation freezing in the throttle body, so when we put the pedal to the floor it starts. I wonder if the throttle body plate is freezing closed, not allowing enough air to enter, when we press the pedal to the floor, we are opening the plate? Just an idea?? Perhaps it has something to do with the electronic throttle or "drive by wire"?? Please help, I would like to figure this out soon!!!

Thanks,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it figured out I use to be a mechanic so I know a little. I did a fuel pressure test and it showed that I have a leaking injector. That is allowing the fuel to leak down in the cylinder and flooding the cylinder and that is why you have to hold the pedal down. I'm sure if you do the same thing you will find that. The pump was at 55 psi key on engine off and holding. When you started it the pump went to 60-64 psi and bouncing due to the leaking injector. I shut the truck off and the fuel pressure goes down to 0 within 30 seconds. I'm going to pull the fuel rail off and turn the key on and see which one is leaking and replace it. My injector has just got bad enough now it is doing it all the time. Your you might be able to get the injectors cleaned and it might take care of it since it is not doing it all the time. It also might be my fuel regulator is bad and sucking the gas back trough the fuel regulator vacuum line. I will find out tomorrow or Thursday my bet is the fuel injector is bad on one of the cylinders.

·
Registered
50 Posts
[email protected]! I have the same exact problem with my 05 Hemi also. Leaking injector? Let me know what you find out ndhibbert, and if this is a fix I can do on my own, or if I'd have to take it in? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
76 Posts
ndhibbert,

Did you figure out the problem with your truck? I have been waiting to see you post a report of what you have come up with? Did your ideas work? I may be taking my truck to the dealer again, but wanted to see if your truck is fixed, and what it was?

·
Registered
368 Posts
how many miles on the spark plugs? bad plugs can not light all that cranking fuel,so when u hold pedal down injector flow is cut way down and plug is not flooded. have seen this on all makes since fuel inj. came about.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm interested as to what he found out also. I tried dumping in some fuel injector cleaner but it still has trouble starting sometimes. If the truck has been sitting for a few hours it will start up just fine. It only has trouble starting if you go to the grocery store and try to start it if it's been sitting for like 30 minutes. Is this what yours does? Let us know ndhibbert! Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmm.... that's a good point also dieseldoc1. I bought my truck with 62k on her and the plug wires say Mopar all over them. Dunno if they're the stock ones or the previous owner had the stealership do them. I'm leaning towards them being stock. I should probably look at the plugs themselves huh? Good project for next weekend, thanks doc!

·
Dodge Tech
1,603 Posts
if there mopar wires they would have a date on them if u look they do have a year

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good point hemidogg, looked when I got home tonight, 2004 right on em. Must be the stock plugs and wires then huh? Guess I got my next project for the Dodge all planned out! I'm still interested as to what ndhibbert found out though, let us know when ya get the chance! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I changed my plugs at 34,000 miles, they looked like new, but I changed them anyway, made no difference in the starting problem. As Barbarossa13 states, this happens after the truck has been ran, then left to sit for a 1/2-1 hour. This only seems to happen in colder temps on my truck, it will not do this in summer. I have ran fuel system cleaners and all the like, no difference. The dealers continue to ask if the check engine light comes on, which it does not in my truck, it seems like they dont even want to look at it if the check engine light has not come on!! This is getting very frustrating, a truck with 36,800 miles should not do this. I have also noticed on some occasions, when the truck starts, it does not rev up like it normally does, it just starts and idles at about 600rpms, normally it will start and rev slightly to about 1000rpms, then drop down after a couple of seconds. Do these trucks have fuel filters that are NOT located in the tank? If so, maybe I should try to change that??

Please HELP

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you ask the dealer about the leaking injector theory DAVE W? If it were the fuel filter it seems to me that the truck would run rough, or not at all. Mine runs fine once its started, so I don't think it'd be the fuel filter on mine. Let me know if you figure anything out. I'm scared to take it to the dealership, but might be my only solution. Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anyone else have any ideas? I'm stuck and getting frustrated :VHOT:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello all,

Well after speaking with a few more dealers, I found a dealer that is willing to look at my truck and spend some time figuring it out. 3 other dealers I spoke with basically told me not to worry about it until the check engine light comes on!! That does not help me much when I get stuck somewhere and cannot get the damn truck started. I will be taking the truck in this coming monday so we shall see. After speaking with the service manager, she stated they ran into this exact same situation only with a 4.7 v8. It ended up being the leaking injector, which caused NO check engine light. I will report back with the results, maybe we can all put this to rest.

Dave

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,638 Posts
While it's not the exact same problem, my 04 has died on me after backing out of a parking spot with the nose pointed down. The dealer told me that they wanted to flash the computer as it sounded like a cold start problem with the computer. I may bring up the leaking injector too, if you guys thing this would contribute to my problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.