DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone with some experience can help. Last week we started hearing a god-awful metal clunking on the driver's side wheel well area. After scores of googling and youtubing, I have completed replacement of:

Sway bar bushings - old ones looked fine, new ones have not made a difference.
Inner and Outer tie rods - old ones were definitely shot, and I could feel the give on the outer joint, and I could feel the inner give and easily move in and out of the rack and pinion. Nevertheless, the new ones have not made a difference and I can still feel the clunk.

The rack and pinon itself did not give at all when I moved the old inner rod, so it should be fine.

I have put my hands on the 12:00 and 6:00 positions and tried moving tire back and forth from top and bottom, but it is stable. From what I've heard, this means the wheel bearings are ok, but I could use a second opinion.

I noticed on one end of the sway bar stabilizer link that the rubber booting was rotted. However, the entire sway bar stabilizer link as a whole feels like its stable when I try to shake it.

Because of the rotted rubber booting, I'm leaning on swapping that out next.

Now that you know what I've already tried, do you have any other advice?

Thanks in Advance,

Hutch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you hear the clunk if you rock the front end up and down? You could check the strut bearings. Put your hand on the top of the strut inside the engine compartment and have someone rock the front end. You should feel the clunk as you move the van up and down. It's worth a check I had that noise in a 91 Grand and that is what it ended up being. Best of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had loud clunk from the front end of an 01 GC

My noise was diagnosed as the need for strut replacement. Replaced Strut, noise gone, vehicle still providing excellent service. Est. 250K miles this might be second replacement. Suggestion, salvage struts with less than 40 K miles should provide good useful miles with very reasonable prices. Also, do them both with a 'matched' pair of struts taken from one vehicle.
:wink

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry I'm just now getting back to this. It actually WAS the strut. I was shooting myself in the foot by having it jacked up under the whole suspension during the previous investigations. Kinda hard to tell if the strut is coming apart if your jack stand is busy supporting it!

I purchased the quick strut assembly and got it swapped out. I'll do the passenger side in December just to even things out.

So from one suspension newbie to another: do not jack up your vehicle under the suspension if you're trying to diagnose your suspension!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts