DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THIS POST HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE CORRECT FORUM.

List,

I've got an Anti-Lock-Brake (ABS) system fault light at the dashboard in our van.

Questions:

1) Does anyone know if there's a secret sequence (IE. switching the key on and off for x amount of times..) the owner can do to retrieve the fault code? (Assuming it exists. I'm trying to determine which axle sensor is causing the fault without having to go to each wheel.) (I'm told Autozone's scanners cannot retrieve wheel/axle specific information)

2) Does every Dodge vehicle have the capability to display error codes?

·
Registered
477 Posts
List,

I've got an Anti-Lock-Brake (ABS) system fault light at the dashboard in our van.

Questions:

1) Does anyone know if there's a secret sequence (IE. switching the key on and off for x amount of times..) the owner can do to retrieve the fault code? (Assuming it exists. I'm trying to determine which axle sensor is causing the fault without having to go to each wheel.) (I'm told Autozone's scanners cannot retrieve wheel/axle specific information)

2) Does every Dodge vehicle have the capability to display error codes?
There is no secret sequence that I know of for ABS

Actron CP9580A (reads ABS fault codes)
You might be able to borrow one from an Autozone

It's fairly easy to pull the sensors and clean them. They can get blocked by junk from the road.

BTW....
You say you have an 05 but you posted this under 2nd Generation

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Autozone now states it's not a wheel sensor and that only a dealership could scan for a bad module(s). Schematics are here http://www.bbbind.com/tech_database.html (Not sure I can decipher them though).

Thanks for the heads-up on the wrong forum. I wonder if a mod could move it to the correct one? (2005 Grand Caravan)

Thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Autozone now states it's not a wheel sensor and that only a dealership could scan for a bad module(s). Schematics are here http://www.bbbind.com/tech_database.html (Not sure I can decipher them though).

Thanks for the heads-up on the wrong forum. I wonder if a mod could move it to the correct one? (2005 Grand Caravan)

Thanks
ABS is not my strong point.
Let's see what NCS and Ratchet have to say.
If you still need help after they chime in, I'll read up on the ABS system for your vehicle and see what makes sense.

Dealerships are not an option for my vehicles.
My vehicles do not go to dealerships. No exceptions. Never.

Because cars are becoming so dealer dependent (or at least dependent on someone with adequate "scan tools", I'm finding it harder and harder to like newer vehicles.

Just me. But I'm old school.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Misty,

I've moved this post to the correct forum. Perhaps a mod could delete this one?

Thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Eastcreek, I'm in need of a DRB III scanner. Best price I can find so far is around $2700.00

I will eventually have to get one, but not just yet. But I need the codes now.

What I did was called around until I found a shop that would read the codes for me for a reasonable fee. In my case, I found a nearby shop that would charge me $10. More than reasonable imo.

So, the point is that even if you don't have, can't find and can't purchase the scanner you need to get the codes for your particular situation, make some phone calls to local brake shops or repair centers until you find one that has the scanner you need and will read the codes for a reasonable fee.

Then make sure to show your appreciation by taking them a cold six pack or some holiday goodies. Might make a big difference when you need to ask them next time :angel

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Progress!

List,

I found a Meineke Car Care Center with a "$7,000.00" scanner. At no charge the scanner found a "31FE: Wheel speed sensor rear right input signal missing".

2 questions:

1) Is the drivers side or the passengers side considered the "right" side?
2) How exactly are the sensors best cleaned? WD-40?

UPDATE:

1) A U-Tube video stated the "industry standard" is to determine right side from left is by being at the drivers seat looking forward. The right side is then the passengers side.
2) Knowing the above, I pulled the rear passenger speed sensor, wiped off some lubrication of sorts, and reinstalled.

I've driven the van for about 3 miles and the ABS light did not clear. Guess I'll pull the drivers side and do the same thing to eliminate a right/left mix up possibility.

New Question:
1) I wonder if this resets on it's own once the fault is cleared or is there something else required?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the statement "my vehicles do not go to the dealer ever. I would like that to be true for me as well. I am disabled Vietnam veteran. My 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan has an ABS light on and I am thinking the sensors in the front wheels need cleaning. Could there be an equally simple fix in case the cleaning does not turn the light out. Do the ring gear looking devices need cleaning as well as the sensors? What is the best method to clean everything? My van is handicapped accessible with 75,000 miles.
An engine light is on as well and I am told it may be as simple as changing the gas cap. There might be a crack in a fuel or vacuum line. This item sounds more complex that the ABS light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts