Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I believe my issue is the wheel bearing. When driving the faster the speed the louder the noise from the rear of the van. Sounds like a humming noise or like you have 32's on and your are driving down the road in a 4X4 with a 12 INCH lift.

Either way I think that this is the problem. I have priced the parts at my local parts shop, apparently this part only comes as the Hub assembly. Now since I know this van has senors everywhere is there something else I need to buy?
I don't know where bearing is out since the sounds seems to be equal on both sides. But I do know that it seems to be getting worse.

I guess my questions are:

1. Should I get the pros to do this?
2. Am I on the right track with the problem based on what I have said?
3. What other parts do I need to think about ordering?
4. Have I left anything out?

Thanks for the help.

Duane

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wheel Bearing

You are correct, no more remove and replace a bearing, all are now bearing and hub assemblies. You can do this, the problem is which bearing is bad, I would get the rear end up on jack stands and try rotating the wheel assemblies and see if you can isolate the bad bearing (groaning or grinding). I would also buy a Haynes manual and use that as a guide. I had this issue on my '96 with a front bearing and I swore it was the right front from the sound, it was in fact a left front ad after I changed the right front the noise persisted. I was not totally lost here as a technician told me do not throw out the old bearing as you may need it, and he was right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
noisy bearing?

Duane,

I thought I had bad rear bearing but it turned out to be the "tires" causing all the noise in the van.
Found this out after replacing the original tires that had 65k miles on them.
The first drive with the new tires all the road noise/roar was GONE.

JR

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just put tires on about 6 months ago or less. I thought it was the tires too, but this started after.

I might have a brand new rear end by the time I am done.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jack the vans rear up and up 1 hand on top and 1 hand on the bottom of the tire and push and pull you will feel the tire move that will tell you which bearing it is. I'm pretty sure you can buy a single bearing .Mechanics can press the hub out of the knuckle and replace it with a new bearing i done it already on my 05 focus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.