DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this truck, had it less than a week, and the engine has seized.

Time for a new engine and I am on a tight budget and time constraint.

From what I understand I can upgrade to a remanufactured HO 4.7 v8, and it's a direct drop in but won't behave as a HO until I upgrade some electrical items. I'm cool with that as long as it will work in the meantime.

I am leaning toward epmmachineco.com for my engine since they appear to do high-end remans and this engine would be $2k

Thoughts, advice, input?

·
Red Trucker
2,583 Posts
Your onboard electronics won't properly run a true HO; the crank tone wheel has a different tooth count. If they're willing to change the tone wheel (requires crank removal) and still warranty it then you're good. HO has more compression and different cams and intake manifold. It wouldn't run quite right until you got a custom tune for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your input Hemilonestar

From the research I have done, I believe I have a 32 tooth tone wheel, not 💯 on that. Is there a way to check without taking the engine out? Also, I am thought there is a single spark plugs per cylinder HO engine variant with a 32 tooth tone wheel.

I was hoping I could install this, it would run as a non HO until it's tuned. I am ok with breaking in the engine and waiting to "unlock" the HO later with a tune, as long as it will run normally in the meantime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Epm is quoting me 2645 w/ shipping for an HO. They say it'll work fine, but I will need a tune for full HO function. That also includes them charging me 200 for my core being non HO

·
Banned
239 Posts

From the research I have done, I believe I have a 32 tooth tone wheel, not 💯 on that. Is there a way to check without taking the engine out? Also, I am thought there is a single spark plugs per cylinder HO engine variant with a 32 tooth tone wheel.

I was hoping I could install this, it would run as a non HO until it's tuned. I am ok with breaking in the engine and waiting to "unlock" the HO later with a tune, as long as it will run normally in the meantime.
As far as I know, if you have the JTEC with three connectors, it's 16 tooth; if you have the NGC with four connectors, it's 32 tooth.

I could easily be wrong on that, though.

RwP

·
Red Trucker
2,583 Posts

Don't confuse the HO with the 2008 and later variant. All 4.7's were single spark plug until 2008.
There's a 30hp difference between your regular 4.7 and an actual HO. This isn't just because of tuning. HO's are physically built differently (hard parts, including a forged crank, different pistons, different intake manifold, different cams and an extra detonation sensor). What you're not getting is that it may not run correctly even if your elex and the tooth count match UNLESS you tune it to match the engine. HO isn't a "function"; it's how it's built. You don't just "unlock" the HO part. You don't want to try and break-in a replacement engine without the proper operating parameters in the PCM; that's usually grounds for voiding a warranty and you may actually fuck it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts