Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I love my 05 2500 diesel with auto trans. 11,000 miles. Just a few questions.

Can and should it be leaned out for better fuel milage? I get average 20
w mixed driving. 16 - 23 tops.

When passing is it normal to get a lot of smoke or is an adjustment necessary.

Thank you
Carl
Texas

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
I hate it when that happens. I get a lot of smoke too when my HEMI passes those baby CTD's on the road. But I have gotten use to it? LOL!

Welcome to DodgeTalk!!! I'm sure the other CTD guys will help you send some dough on mods.

And where is TX are you located?

·
Registered
852 Posts
When I pass or when I get on it from a stopping start I get some black smoke. Its normal, so there is nothing to worry about. Now if the smoke starts coming out white then there is something wrong...

·
Banned
3,902 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
TTURedRaider09 said:
I hate it when that happens. I get a lot of smoke too when my HEMI passes those baby CTD's on the road. But I have gotten use to it? LOL!

Welcome to DodgeTalk!!! I'm sure the other CTD guys will help you send some dough on mods.

And where is TX are you located?

Welcome! First of all I have yet to be passed by a Hemi with my ole 96.

A diesel can't be "leaned out." The basic principal of a Diesel is this. It consumes more air than it needs and lower load ranges.. There is no throttle plate, hence no vacuum. A diesel changes RPM by adding fuel. More fuel, more RPM. When you place a load on a Diesel it needs a little more fuel. The more load the more fuel it needs to hold that RPM. That was all fine and dandy, then they came up with the Turbocharger. The Turbo can now add even MORE air, and now more fuel.

When you pass someone, you have your foot on the floor and you have "maxed" what Dodge says you can have for fuel. The Turbo is limited electronically to a certian ammount of boost. The black smoke is a small ammount of unburnt fuel. You have more fuel than air. It is not a problem, and tells me that you are at the top of your HP range for those settings in the Engine Control Unit. That is why they make fueling boxes to make more power. You can add more fuel and fool the ECU into thinking you are only at a certian ammount of boost, when in reality you are much higher. If you think you have a smoke problem.....I'll attach a pic for you to enjoy....He is running "rich" as it may be!

Josh

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey no problem. There are Many more wild pics and videos around if your interested.

www.diesel-central.com

If you have a DSL or whatnot....the Videos are pretty sweet. Kent Crowder is around 1400hp....it's a pretty wild truck. The videos are sweet but don't do it justice. I've seen it in person and it just shakes the ground when he spools it up and gets it rolling.

Josh

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Dude! If you are seeing those kinds of mileage numbers and you have hand calculated them you should be very happy!! Most of us are in the 13-17 range city and 16-20 hwy. Just make sure you check to make sure your overhead is right. Sometimes they get out of whack...

Black Smoke is coooooool too when you have a diesel!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Crazycooter- I watched one of the sled pull videos... some of the more powerful trucks make a weird sound when they finish pulling the sled.. what is that noise?

-SSFX

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well it could be a couple of things...either they are blipping the throttle or if it's a huffing sound...they are barking the turbo. Barking the turbo is a BAD thing...and can lead to failure. What happens is when they back out of the throttle suddenly the turbo is compressing air in the intake tract. You back out of it and there is a SUDDEN RPM drop. When this happens that compressed air has no where to go and basically bounces back and hits the turbo. The Wave of air is what you are hearing. It kind of sounds like fuhaa fuhaa fuhaaa. Stock it's pretty tough to bark a turbo, once you get up a bit higher in the HP ranges....it's easier and easier.

Josh
PS, if you find a Video of what you are hearing....let me know I'll check it out and let you know!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.