DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, enjoyed lurking on the site the past few weeks, time for my first rant/post! :teacher:

So, I bought my first Ram, an '05 5.7 1500 AWD a few weeks ago. Very low miles (39000) for the year. Everything checked out and looked great when I test drove it, no leaks anywhere, and the AWD/4Hi/4Low worked fine. Drove it a week around my small town, then took it in for the first oil change.

When they checked the diffs and tcase fluid levels, the shop found the tcase was nearly empty! They topped it off with nearly 2 quarts. Drips under the truck appeared right away, with spots of oil on the tailgate after a drive on the highway. Yep, rear tcase output is leaking pretty badly.

So, I took it in to have a mechanic look at it hoping it would be a $20 seal. Nope. Diagnosis - Bushing seized to the rear yoke due to heat and tore up the seal. Parts not cheap either. I'm told the bushing is not available aftermarket, and Dodge doesn't sell it alone - have to get the whole output cone to get the bushing. So, I need a new yoke, seal and cone /w bushing to the tune of $500 (up here in Canada) plus a couple hours labour. :bawl:

Since the 4WD/AWD system seems to work fine otherwise, the mechanic is confident there should be no further damage. Won't really know 'till he opens her up tomorrow. Parts came today. What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Within so many days, you can take the truck back and have them replace it or you could file a lemon law paperwork on them.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
.... and Welcome to DT!

:dtrocks:

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Make em fix it or refund the $$$$ to fix it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Private deal, 5 year old truck. Don't think a "return" is possible. I'm just worried if there might be further damage or parts I should be replacing while it's apart considering when I know so far.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You definately need to ensure the flux capacitor is topped off as well. That could be a costly part to replace.

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
That's terrible. I'm sure the selling dealer knew about the problem, most do, but they won't disclose it. I'd definitely phone them, or get the dealer to phone that's doing the work and fax the paperwork over. After only a week of ownership with something that if went overlooked, would have cost you well into the four figure range, I'd phone them!

You definately need to ensure the flux capacitor is topped off as well. That could be a costly part to replace.
I agree. Forget garbage, it's too bad vehicles can't run on BS alone!

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Private Party ... :ugh

... you're SOL then. It's a case of "buyers beware". If you want the truck then it's yours to fix. But if it was that low on lube, I would be worried what shape the bearings are in.

:imo

·
Premium Member
22,963 Posts
I think he can use the flux capacitor and have Cher sing "If I could turn back time.. and not buy this truck.."

Seriously. Yeah, not much you can do there. I'd get it fixed and just basically include that in the purchase price of the vehicle. Once fix, you should have a nice reliable truck for years to come.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Truck is already in getting fixed. I expect to put some $$ into a used vehicle, and this isn't too bad. Still looking for advice on what else to check while it's apart. I'm more familiar with the chain drive NP231 case from my Jeep.

So dmcelhannon said something about bearings. I'm new to full size Dodges, is mine the NV243 case? I'll do some research to see if I can find more info on it's internals. Anyone got a link to an exploded diagram of it?

Oh, and yesterday I swapped the Flux Capacitor for an Overthruster. Picked it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Within so many days, you can take the truck back and have them replace it or you could file a lemon law paperwork on them.
Pretty much no state allows the return of a vehicle under these circumstances, and lemon laws don't apply. Lemon laws kick in after so many unsuccessful repair attempts.

Hope this works out. If the dealer is respectable, he may fix it at a discounted rate.

·
Respected Member
3,591 Posts
Truck is already in getting fixed. I expect to put some $$ into a used vehicle, and this isn't too bad. Still looking for advice on what else to check while it's apart. I'm more familiar with the chain drive NP231 case from my Jeep.

So dmcelhannon said something about bearings. I'm new to full size Dodges, is mine the NV243 case? I'll do some research to see if I can find more info on it's internals. Anyone got a link to an exploded diagram of it?

Oh, and yesterday I swapped the Flux Capacitor for an Overthruster. Picked it up tomorrow.
Depending on what t-case u have it could be worse. My t-case (246) has clutch paks in it like a tranny and can burn up without fluid and then a total overhaul is needed. About 1200 for a rebuilt 246 t-case in my area.

Posted from my BlackBerry

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
Pretty much no state allows the return of a vehicle under these circumstances, and lemon laws don't apply. Lemon laws kick in after so many unsuccessful repair attempts.

Hope this works out. If the dealer is respectable, he may fix it at a discounted rate.
I made the comment before I knew it was P/P sale and your right about the lemon law with P/P; it's not happening.

:jmad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Result - This new mechanic is great. First thing he did was take me to the bench and show me the old removed parts.

Old Yoke was scored pretty bad by the bushing, seal was done. New yoke installed with new output cone, bushing and seal. Wierd thing - old yoke was painted black. They like than stock? Anyway, leaks should be done and the bill was a little less than expected, so that's good.

Now time to install my Hella 500FFs on the Alzhemi lightbar I just got!

·
LPG Hemi
2,785 Posts
Nice one.
Hopefully a good end to a bad situation.
Al.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Result - This new mechanic is great. First thing he did was take me to the bench and show me the old removed parts.

Old Yoke was scored pretty bad by the bushing, seal was done. New yoke installed with new output cone, bushing and seal. Wierd thing - old yoke was painted black. They like than stock? Anyway, leaks should be done and the bill was a little less than expected, so that's good.

Now time to install my Hella 500FFs on the Alzhemi lightbar I just got!

So, how much was it ???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.