DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Daytona #8457
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm not too sure what happened, but as I was pulling off the interstate the other day and I came to the stoplight, something happened. As I started to drive away from the stop light I heard a knocking sound coming from underneath the truck. This sounded a lot like the issue I had before I put on my headers, but that if she went away. Now it seems that it's back and in a much stronger way. I believe I spun a bearing either the crank or a rod. Either way, I've already decided to take the truck in and have the engine rebuilt. While the engine is being rebuilt, I figured it's probably the best time I'll ever have to stab a new cam into it. I'm thinking about going with the Comp Cams 260. What I really want is for this truck to be a little bit more aggressive, but something I could still drive every day and feel is reliable enough to tow a trailer with a car on it. The guy who is rebuilding the engine is going to do new valve seats as well, as he says that's a common problem on these engines.

Here is where I need your advice. If I go with a new cam, do you recommend the 260? If not, what do you think would be the best cam for my application without going to a custom grind. Secondly, I need to know what else I need. Haha. I know I will probably need new valve springs, and a tuner for when it all gets put back together. I've listed my current mods below just so you guys have a good frame of reference.

Superchips 3815
Pacesetter LT's
Cat delete
DMH electric cutout

I appreciate all of your help. Looking to buy everything this week. Let me know if a local vendor can get me a hookup as well. Otherwise I'll try to swing a military discount with some of the bugger vendors.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
did you get it rebuilt yet? surprised no one has answered but it has kinda died down here a bit... I had a knock awhile back and I used it as an excuse to rebuild...but as it turns out it was only my timing chain tensioner that went bad...but I stroked it anyways...

·
Daytona #8457
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the middle of the rebuild right now. Kinda surprised by how dead it is here, too. Oh well.

I decided to buy a new long block, stab in a COMP 260, beehive springs, and comp pushrods. Having the heads reworked with new valves and seats and all new seals. Also went with an EDGE performance 2600 stall tq converter.

Gonna tune it all with a custom tune on the diablo Trinity T1000.

Couple other goodies, but I need new injectors and probably an intake.

·
Red Trucker
2,508 Posts
I'm in the middle of the rebuild right now. Kinda surprised by how dead it is here, too. Oh well.

I decided to buy a new long block, stab in a COMP 260, beehive springs, and comp pushrods. Having the heads reworked with new valves and seats and all new seals. Also went with an EDGE performance 2600 stall tq converter.

Gonna tune it all with a custom tune on the diablo Trinity T1000.

Couple other goodies, but I need new injectors and probably an intake.
Are your stock injectors bad? For stock displacement and that cam, the stock ones are plenty. Regardless what you've done will make your truck much more fun to drive.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
yea the 260 got good torque in it...tuned right you're gonna love it.. are you gonna run a cai with that setup (you should)...how are you gonna setup the exhaust after the lt's?

·
Daytona #8457
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Copy. I'll grab some stock injectors. There was fuel sitting on top of the valves when I pulled the manifold, so new injectors are just good insurance on a brand new engine. They are the factory injectors with 127k miles anyway. Can't hurt to replace them.

I've got a borla catback, no cats, O2 sims (that actually work surprisingly) and I've got an electric cutout right at the 3" offroad Y pipe. Best of both worlds. Quiet on the commute, loud and open when I want it.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
nice...let us know how you like it when done :)

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,352 Posts
did you get it rebuilt yet? surprised no one has answered but it has kinda died down here a bit... I had a knock awhile back and I used it as an excuse to rebuild...but as it turns out it was only my timing chain tensioner that went bad...but I stroked it anyways...
That's as good a reason as any Fred!!

I think the password issue might have contributed to the die down. I had issues trying to get back in. And it's funny, I still get emails for my subscribed threads, but they don't include my username?!

@DodgeGuy524, you might try what I did for a CAI. I use a mandrel bent 3.5" steel pipe between the filter box and the throttle valve, and I cut the base of the filter box (approx 1" below the separation line) on 3 sides (left the back side solid), inserted a couple small pieces of 1" PVC pipe at the front corners, and closed off the resulting gaps on the sides. Cut the front open a little more to help bring in fresh air. I call it my Basking Shark Intake.
(Trying to get some photos, but the phone and computer aren't talking)

[edit] Got the photos added as an album in my profile. Finally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.