DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 3500 cummins and it has started to rev real high and lose speed. Dealer has had it almost a month now. And now they are saying it might be bio diesel causing the problems. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
Could be a speed sensor ...... my parents have a 99 Diesel and it would never shift out of first gear .. the dealership wanted to tear the tranny out so they took it to someone else and they found a code for a bad speed sensor .. replaced sensor on the rear axle and it was fixed for under $100

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have run my 05 truck on B20 biodiesel several times with no ill effects. I would like to know how they came to that conclusion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I dont see how a fuel problem would be causing your truck to rev higher and lose speed. Sounds more like a tranny problem. Maybe your torque isn't locking up or your bands are slipping.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Or the converter is toasted. It really sounds like a trans issue to me too....

·
Joe E
546 Posts
That was my though too. Tranny is or is about to roast. Had that happen in my old Dakota. I was going up a hill. I hit the gas to get moving faster and I heard a small pop. I gradually lost speed and my engine acted like it was in Neutral. Basically the link between the engine and tranny is gone. Engine spins free in N or D. But the truck goes no where. Good Luck to you. Sounds expensive.
Joe E.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Hunter11 said:
I have run my 05 truck on B20 biodiesel several times with no ill effects. I would like to know how they came to that conclusion.
Because if it's Biodiesel then it's not under warranty hence the dealership can charge a arm and leg for repairs :tdwn: Like others said, fuel can't be it, bad fuel could cause LESS power but not acting like the tranny won't shift.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Maybe the original poster can elaborate a bit more on exactly what it was doing...
Engine revving and truck going nowhere is a transmission related problem. If they are saying it's the fuel then there must be more to the story.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Theres Nothing More To The Story. The Other Day They Test Drove It And It Would Barley Make It Up A Hill. They Say It May Be The New Fuel Filters Dodge Started Putting Out IN COMBINATION WITH THE BIODIESEL.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Is the engine turning lots of rpms and not making power or do you have to keep giving it more pedal and rpms don't go up any higher and it makes no more power?
Just trying to help BTW........

Have they drained the fuel tank, put regular diesel in it, and swapped the fuel filter out yet?

·
Registered
343 Posts
linktorich said:
Theres Nothing More To The Story. The Other Day They Test Drove It And It Would Barley Make It Up A Hill. They Say It May Be The New Fuel Filters Dodge Started Putting Out IN COMBINATION WITH THE BIODIESEL.
I know what's causing your problem. It's the baloney they're feeding you !!!

#1: how do they know you're running B20 (unless you told them). As far as I know, there is no way of telling once it's in the tank.
#2: if it was fuel/filter related, the truck would not only loose speed, but the engine would not be able to carry any load.
#3: please do yourself (and your truck) a favor and bring it to someone who cares to fix it, instead of trying to rob you.

good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.