DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. My 2004 Dodge Stratus ES 2.7 V-6 started stalling on me about 3 months ago and the check engine light came on. The car runs for about 5-10 minutes and then it will just stall as if it shuts off. No warning at all. I brought the car in for a diagonostic (cost me 88 bucks) and they told me that it needs a tune up because the cylinder 3 spark plug needs to be replaced and is causing the car to misfire. The pcv valve and air filter needed to be replaced. The map sensor needed to be replaced and there is an open flash that needs to be done (computer software upgrade).

Does any of this make sense? The car is out of it's 3/36 warranty. Are they just trying to get my money?

I replaced the pcv valve and air filter for less than 20 bucks and did it myself.

What does the map sensor do? If I do the tuneup, which involves replacing all the spark plugs will this correct the problem or will I still need a new map sensor.

The car only has 31,000 miles.

Any help and ideas would be great. Thanks...

· Registered
860 Posts
Can't say about the flash, but if it is misfiring, change the plugs and see if it starts running right.
If you see the check engine light flashing, that means there is a misfire.
It is not unheard of for plugs to go bad at 31,000 mi.

· Registered
3 Posts
I've had the same problem as you.
My car is at about 65k, and with the same problems (random misfire cyl. 5, and shuts off whenever it wants to).
Here's what i did, took it to the auto parts store for the engine code read (know some friends that work in the store, so didnt have to pay for the checkup)
Error codes I got were:

Low batt
Barometric pressure sensor
Barometric pressure sensor (yes, it was listed twice)
Random Misfire cyl 5
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
MAP Sensor

Resolved all but 3.
I've replaced the batt, the cam and crank. reset the computer. Still have the random misfire (even after changing the spark plugs--think it might be the boot, so thats on order)
Found out the barometric pressure sensor is also known as the MAP sensor... or the other way around--at least--thats how it was listed on their computer. Now I have the MAP sensor, but no idea if its the right part (if its the correct location that is.. OEM and replacement have different female ends).
If you need help locating the parts, I have some pic's attached.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.