DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 04 stratus sxt coupe from a used dealer in OH, and both my driver's side front and rear light covers are filled with condensation...and also have slight water lines on the inside of the lights...I'm concerned with lamp failure and possible water damage to that side of the car. Is this a normal thing with this model/year? What can I do to fix it?

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
amwall18: I had this problem with my aftermarket tail lights filling with water. Especialy at the car wash. I came right home and began to pull the taillights outer lens off. After I got the lights lens off, I cleaned them all up inside and took some clear silicone to them to reseal the lens. Alot of times the factory goop they use to seal them has a bad spot in it where the moisture gets in. Take one of the tail lights out of the car and see what you can find out about where the water is getting in from.
`

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, i might have to get some help with that. I did take it to the dodge garage and ask about it...they said all they could do was either drill holes in the back of the lenses (they tip backward not forward) which would've cost me 50-60 bucks a pop...not worth it i say. And new lenses are definately like 500/600 bucks a pop. So, we'll see what i can do. thanks again.

·
So whats UR excuse?
4,542 Posts
Drill a few holes in them yourself! Probably in the bottom side or the back side of the lights. It's worth a try. Heck a slow drill and a small bit should do it. You don't want a fast drill it will gum up in the plastic, the slower the better so you don't create heat and start to melt the plastic. Good Luck!

·
Registered
193 Posts
i would say its not a normal thing with ur year car but it happens so.... if your mechanically inclined you could take the lamps off the car and pop the lens ur self, clean them and re seal them its not to hard to do, i did it with mine and painted the head lamps black, basically put the headlamps in the oven at 200 deg for like 5-8 mins ( dont worry the lamp wont melt), pull them out and start prying the lens off you may only get half way and it starts to dry so it may have to go back in the oven for another 5 mins to soften the silicone, once apart, clean ur leans i would even do some rain x antifog for added protection , then try to clean all the old silicone off as best as you can, get some black silicone and and put in the groove of the housing, put the lens back on and smooth out all the silicone as best as you can, let dry for like 24hrs then re apply some silicone to make sure its sealed, then put back on car ;) , its actually a cheap way to fix a foggy lamp , cheaper then a new set anyway, same applies for the rear to pull the lens off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.