DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal. 04 QC 1500 w/infinity system. I installed my sony headunit, powers up fine, but no sound. I know I need tap into the stock amp remote turn on....but which wire would it be. There is a spot for Amp Turn On on the stock wiring harness, but there is no wire coming out of it. I am also pretty certain the wires are different color for 02-03 and 2004. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
same problem here, everything works find except no sound. when i look at the wiring on the oe harness and the pin description, i can see they dont match.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Use a process of elimination... are there any wires left?
Any chance you can post pictures?

I have an 04 & I was able to use my aftermarket radio with the infinity amp for a while with no problems...

·
Registered
16 Posts
here are some pics of the OE harness and the aftermarket harness. NOTE this is the only aftermarket harness available, i have check alot of the site and also retail store they all sell the same aftermarket harness

note all the power, ground wire match up with the OE harness, but there from the OE harness you will see 4 wires green,green/orange, white,white/blue. i think those are the speaker wire, but how come there are only 4 wires for the speakers (total has 7 speaker in truck).

also the Orange wire is suppose to be the trigger for the amp (according to the lable on the OE HU, i try to use the power ant wire hooking to this orange wire it is still no sound.

i think there are 2 problems here, 1 is the tirgger, 2nd is the speaker wire.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
557 Posts
repsol said:
i think there are 2 problems here, 1 is the tirgger, 2nd is the speaker wire.
I want to let everyone know that this must be a change made in the late 04 & 05's

Although I have an 04 with the infinity system, I purchased mine in Dec 03, & the factory harness while similar has different wires.

The 2 green & 2 white wires are actually the signal wires to the amp. I am guessing that these are all positive & share a common ground.

So your amp maybe turning on, but getting no signal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...I am pretty sure 04/05 are shafted. I just read on 12volt.com that
the 04/05 factory infinity amps are turned on through the PCI Bus wire.
AKA, the factory amp will not be compatible with an aftermarket headunit. I am pretty much accepting this fact due to the different wiring I have on my 04. If this is 100% confirmed the word should be put out (ala sticky).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well if anyone with a RAM having this problem lives near Tampa, FL... give me a holler, I may be able to run some tests...

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just wrote Dodge and see if they can confirm there is really a change. But I am very sure there is.
Beacuse i also have read in 12volt someone already post the amp is turn on by pci bus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had the same problem in my 04 ... i'm actually pretty sure i was the first one to post anything about this.... i went through all the same stuff trying to get the factory amp to turn on...and its just not possible. i ended up pulling the factory amp, and buying a 4 channel amp that i use to run the door and rear speakers. i run my dash speakers off the internal amp in my head unit. sounds alot better than the infinity system did anyway. sorry, but bypassing the factory amp is pretty much your only option as far as i know

·
Registered
16 Posts
i got a e-mail back from Dodge, bascially they dont want us to screw with the oe system.

i guess what i will do what bkmaster did put a 4 ch amp and run the hd unit out to the dash speaker.

bkmaster did you install the system yourself? do you happen to remember the color code for the wires to the speakers? and how difficult to take out the oe amp? - do you have to tear out the whole dash?

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah, i did do most of the work myself, although i did have someone at hh greg pull the factory amp. it was actually a pretty big pain according to him...you have to remove the glove box and a large plastic piece behind it that is held in w/ alot of screws. then there are 4 bolts holding the factory amp in place. not the most complicated thing, just a pain. i installed the 4 ch amp myself though, and it was pretty easy. i just ran all the speaker wires from the 4 ch up to behind the glove box, and spliced into the factory wires that used to go to the amp ...that way you dont have to run wires to each individual speaker. then you just run a few more speaker wires down from the head unit and splice into the remaining wires for the dash speakers. hope that didnt' confuse you too much. feel free to pm me for any clarification or help on anything. as far as speaker wire colors go...sorry, i dont remember off hand...but if you search for my original post (something like.. 'stumped by '04 ram w/ infinity system' ....there is a link on there that allows you to download the entire factory manual for an 04 dodge.....it'll show you all the wire colors ....and although we obviously have a slightly different system in our trucks, the wire colors for all the speakers are the same. hope that helped.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Its true...you cant use an aftermarket headunit on an infinity system and expect the amplifier to work with it..I work at a major electronic retailer as an installer and when one of these Rams comes in..we have to bypass the amp completely. Most people can get away with running the aftermarket radio to all speakers and it will sound a little better than the factory...but once we series/parrallel all the speakers it works out...a better option would be to replace the whole system entirely

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 04 QC w/ the infinity stereo, I just replaced my head unit with a Pioneer p840mp cd and used a scosche harness...I called thier tech support line and also talked to a guy at circuit city(yea i know, they dont know shit) but they both told me it would be fine as long as the amp turn on wire was hooked up, my stereo seems to be working fine, sounds much better than the factory unit...maybe the amp has been bypassed since its getting fed 40w from the headunit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
HEMILaramie,

Do you have a diagram of the HU and amp connectors that correspond to the wiring diagrams you posted?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This diagram is the standard wiring to all HU models used in the Dodge RAM, that why yo can buy any other Chrysler HU and fit your truck, this diagram was an extract from the Dodge RAM 04 Service Manual. if you need any othe diagram I can send it to you. I didn't send you the service manual because is 70 megs in size.

·
blazenbass
7 Posts
solution

i dont know if its the same on yours but on my 99 ram on your factory wiring harness there is a green or light green wire that is your remote turn on lead for your factory infinity sound system amp, hook that into your remote on your deck, or switched power, then there is a black wire that is attached to the factory Head unit with a quick slide connector that you need to ground.
i hope that helped :rck:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.