DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1 owner Durango (4 x 2) with a tow package. It had issues with overheating, especially when idling. I ended up having to replace the engine after it threw a rod. New water pump, thermostat was part of the new build. The overheating was better but still an issue when sitting or especially when towing. ASs long as the vehicle is moving the temp is acceptable, as soon as you stop it starts rising. I thought of replacing the radiator but have also have seen issues where possibly the fan clutch or the wrong thermostat could be the issue. Would like a way to diagnose the actual issue prior to spending tons replacing the entire system. Any suggestions?

Also, it seems a 203 thermostat is recommended but I have seen comments regarding the lower 190 being used for better performance. Seems like I would want the higher rated thermostat with my issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Changed thermostat to new 180 temperature hoping to help. Helped but did not work. Use of tow mode makes it worse. Could it be the radiator fan clutch or possibly the radiator? Temperature rising when moving but especially when idling after towing or while towing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changed thermostat to new 180 temperature hoping to help. Helped but did not work. Use of tow mode makes it worse. Could it be the radiator fan clutch or possibly the radiator? Temperature rising when moving but especially when idling after towing or while towing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2005 5.7 4wd...I had similar issues..Upgraded the RADIATOR to the LARGER /Thicker 1 5/8 in.core HD radiator...HD water pump, Evans waterless coolant, Amzoil Synthetic Oil, Amzoil filter. NO MORE PROBLEMS. Have the towing package..but do not tow.

·
Berserker
8 Posts
Check your fan, does it spin freely when you spin it with the engine off? When was the last time your cooling system was serviced? How far does the temp gauge go when its "overheating?" Maybe its normal temp for towing. I read 275 is well within spec for these engines to run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the radiator, mechanical fan clutch,and engine temp sensor this week. On the first time I started to get to operating temperature it went past midway and then after I cut the engine off it spewed coolant again. Maybe thinking the water pump is now working as I cannot see anything in the coolant system which would call she the issue. Top hose was warm but not hot. At a loss now. Is there anything else that could be causing the issue? It’s a new engine with less than 5000 miles on it.

·
Berserker
8 Posts
when you replaced your radiator, did you bleed the air out of the cooling system properly? What do you mean spewed coolant when you shut the engine off? Was there a leak? If you can't see any coolant in the rad hose it may be because you didn't bleed all the air out. Fill the radiator again, drive/idle to operating temp, then remove the rad cap again when the engine is cold. Fill again. Repeat until you see coolant in the radiator when the cap is off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I added fluid to radiator and overflow as manual directed. I left cap off as instructed and before it even reached temp it was running back out of the cap opening. I shut off car and squeezed the top rad hose to try and clear some of the air. Waited a couple hours and tried again. Same issue happened and so I placed cap on. Then the car went to temp and whe. I turned car off it started blowing coolant back through overflow. I could hear the fluid “boiling or gurgling”. Top rad hose and bottom hoses were warm but not hot. Let it sit and 2 hours later, block is hot, rad has lower fluid level. Top hose is hot and bottom is warm. There are no leaks and I’m not sure if there is access to a bleeder valve for this model HEMI magnum. Concerns me that it’s losing so much coolant before it even gets a chance to get to temp. Also. T star is a 180.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts