DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1 owner Durango (4 x 2) with a tow package. It had issues with overheating, especially when idling. I ended up having to replace the engine after it threw a rod. New water pump, thermostat was part of the new build. The overheating was better but still an issue when sitting or especially when towing. ASs long as the vehicle is moving the temp is acceptable, as soon as you stop it starts rising. I thought of replacing the radiator but have also have seen issues where possibly the fan clutch or the wrong thermostat could be the issue. Would like a way to diagnose the actual issue prior to spending tons replacing the entire system. Any suggestions?

Also, it seems a 203 thermostat is recommended but I have seen comments regarding the lower 190 being used for better performance. Seems like I would want the higher rated thermostat with my issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Changed thermostat to new 180 temperature hoping to help. Helped but did not work. Use of tow mode makes it worse. Could it be the radiator fan clutch or possibly the radiator? Temperature rising when moving but especially when idling after towing or while towing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Changed thermostat to new 180 temperature hoping to help. Helped but did not work. Use of tow mode makes it worse. Could it be the radiator fan clutch or possibly the radiator? Temperature rising when moving but especially when idling after towing or while towing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2005 5.7 4wd...I had similar issues..Upgraded the RADIATOR to the LARGER /Thicker 1 5/8 in.core HD radiator...HD water pump, Evans waterless coolant, Amzoil Synthetic Oil, Amzoil filter. NO MORE PROBLEMS. Have the towing package..but do not tow.

·
Berserker
6 Posts
Check your fan, does it spin freely when you spin it with the engine off? When was the last time your cooling system was serviced? How far does the temp gauge go when its "overheating?" Maybe its normal temp for towing. I read 275 is well within spec for these engines to run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts