Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm currently looking at moving up to an 04' Dakota SXT standard cab 2wd. It's got 16k on it, auto, air, am/fm/cd, cruise, 16" wheels, and it's in basically showroom shape. It's in the flame red clearcoat color, chrome grille, dark gray front and back bumper accents. It has the 3.7 v-6

Lot inspection seems to reveal no bodywork, no dings or significant scratches.

Carfax shows personal use, purchased 5/04, and then traded back in to another dealer nearby in October. It drives nicely, quiet rear end , runs straight, etc.

They are at $10,800 as a hard bottom line. They point out that it has 8 months left on the bumper to bumper, and another 5 years and 55k miles on the engine/transmission warranty.

10,800, worth it or?

·
Registered
250 Posts
From the blue book without knowing all the options (power win,lock,dl,etc), v6/auto, aluminum wheels and sxt package, they are showing that price as the trade in value and 14-16k for selling price. I would think the rc v6 would be lower. Your call though. Good luck!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This SXT does not have power options as many RC sxt's did not, but does have power steering/brakes of course.

I did get a call just now from the seller offering it for 10,450, maybe I should wait just a bit and see if it drops another couple hundred :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I checked the local listings and from what I'm see similar to that is 10-12k for 20-30k miles, so I guess that is a good price. The Dakotas are holding their value better then I thought. Brand new with rebates they were 12K.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have given me a price of 10,450 and all current warranties. Thinking hard about it actually. Mayb pull the trigger tomorrow (Saturday), I'll post up pics if we get it. thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uh-oh, need some advice..

Ugh. Need some more advice ...........

While the vehicle is flawless, drives like a dream and all, there is an issue.

The carfax (FWIW), is clean, however talking to the prior owner, she related the following:

"on her way to work one morning during a heavy rain, she swerved, the rear end broke loose and the right rear wheel hit a concrete divider. The vehicle did not hit any others, only the RR wheel was impacted. The wheel had a chunk broken from it, the tire sidewall was torn. Vehicle was towed to a chain in the St Louis area where the wheel, tire, right rear wheel bearing and axle shaft was replaced. The vehicle was aligned afterwards". The manager of the shop said it was 'no big deal', the bill for everything including the rental car was $1100 or so.

That being said, although I could not tell the difference when driving it on a mix of roads, anything I should look for extra?

Also, since the dealership did NOT know about the incident (PO said so) and played on how clean the vehicle was and that the carfax was clean, should I try to get another few hundred off because of this?

thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would talk to the person that owned it again and find out how long before she got rid of it did that happen. And if it was the reason she got rid of it. Get all the info you can as long as she doesn't mind. She has nothing to loose. Find out how much she got for her trade. If there is a big gap in her trade and your price then you might have some bargaining room. If not and I was still going to get the truck, try to get some extra warranty out of them. Price will effect their profit. But the warranty even if a year of bumper to bumper that you might not even have to use they might go for. If they say no then tell them what you know and that the way the carfax is stated is misleading. Then tell them that if the rearend is bad it would fall under powertrain not the other warranty. And that you want this to cover a problem that might be related to the incident. Good luck, just keep in mind that you can say you have to think about it and tell them if they want to make a better offer to get back to you. Plus another thing to do, if you can, is to slap down cash with your demands and have them put it in writing. Green and ink makes things happen!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They traded about 2 months later. She said it was for two reasons, 1. she didn't trust the truck on wet roads anymore (upset her quite a bit), and they needed more room (traded for a pt cruiser). She said it drove the same afterwards, and the repair firm mgr stated that there was no damage to the frame/body alignment. I'm pretty picky when I do a TD, and I would never have known.

The salesman was off today so he will be calling on Tuesday I'm sure to try to close the deal. I'll toss these ideas around tonight and try to get something more from them during that call at least. It's a little ways away so I can't just run there and do it or I would instead of over the phone.

I'll post when something happens, thanks!

·
Banned
62 Posts
RC '04 SXT with all that. I would give him $9000....I was going to buy an '04 Ram RC 3.7 automatic last year with 11K miles for 9800.00. So I think 9000-9500 would be fair. Mention to him that the wreck was extensive and the history makes you hesitant and float $9000 by him. Hold out and try to get his boss to agree. He will come back with $10K(10K seems to be a magic #). Tell him $9500 and then make the deal. I guarantee you can get this truck for $9500.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They said I couldn't take it to be examined, that I'd had it out and told them it drove fine. Said if I put down a deposit I could take it somewhere of their direction to be checked, and the only way they would refund the deposit after payment would be if the place documented it being a problem with the rear axle.

I told them where to put it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It sounds to me like they knew that there might be a problem. I have never heard of a dealer saying you can't take it some where else. They dealer I went to, even when I told them I was just window shopping gave me the key to a truck and said bring it back before you run out of gas. I would avoid that place. And being the type of person I am, if that dealer has more stores, I would try to get a hold of the district manager or owner and tell them of the treatment you got. Get the guy in trouble. Well good luck in your search!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.