DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering using nothing but synthetic oil in my '05 Hemi D.

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wow, you should get tons of opinions on this one! :blah:
I personally have used Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic since my first oil change. I have used Mobil 1 in many vehicles have never had a problem. Other people like Amsoil, Royal Purple and so on. I use Mobil 1 because of I can find it at any Auto Parts store and it works well.

Here's one that will spark some debate also :pnice:

What kind of oil filter do you plan to use? Again this can be argued, but I use either a Purolator Pure One or Mobil One filter. Check the boards and you'll find many threads with more info on this subject. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HemiEd said:
I personally have used Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic since my first oil change. I have used Mobil 1 in many vehicles have never had a problem. Other people like Amsoil, Royal Purple and so on. I use Mobil 1 because of I can find it at any Auto Parts store and it works well.

What kind of oil filter do you plan to use? Again this can be argued, but I use either a Purolator Pure One or Mobil One filter. Check the boards and you'll find many threads with more info on this subject. Good luck!
Thanks for the input...

I hadn't given the filter any thought just yet, as I haven't taken delivery of my D yet....It came in yesterday, now waiting on the accessories to arrive and be installed.

I have read that the oil filter is in a difficult location, and there is no oil splash/director guard in place.

Any truth to those rumors?

·
Registered
410 Posts
The oil filter location on the Hemi is in a less than optimal location but you can get to it. The main problem is the oil running all over the place when you unscrew the filter. There is a cross member that gets covered in oil but i always wipe it down really well when I'm finished. Other than that, changing the oil in the 2nd gen D is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personally, I've been using Mobil 1 5-30 since I got the vehicle(got it with 6K on it). I've used Mobil one in all my vehicles and never had an issue. As for a filter, ever since my last vehicle(a 2001 Ford Explorer) I have used a K&N oil filter. They are a bit expensive but IMO, nothing beats them.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
HemiEd said:

I'm with HemiEd, I use the same....except I use the 10W30 as I'm in Atlanta and that's what my other 2 turbo cars use. Anyhow, I put 285K on a turbo talon using Mobil 1...and never had any engine or turbo issues...and the car is still running, a friend of mine bought it for his son. If Mobil can protect a hot running turbo 4cylinder, it sure can take care of a NA V-8.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.

That makes my decision easier!

·
Registered
256 Posts
What is the recommended spec oil in a Hemi D? I just bought a used one and the user manual did not come with it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
5w-30. Should say so on the oil fill cap.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W40. The 0 viscosity is really noticeable at start (gives about 2200 RPM). I have used it since the first oil change as well. Has anyone tried Royal Purple and is it worth the money?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I know BidgEd6464 uses Royal Purple and really likes it. I was at the Summit Racing warehouse in Akron, OH a few weeks ago and they were selling it for $5.60 a quart. I have always heard good things about it especially in racing communities. :drivingz:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a bit confused.

The '05 Owners Manual I got says to use 5W-30 for 4.7 Liter and 5W-20 for the 5.7 Liter for all operating temperatures.

5.7 Liter is the Hemi.

Looks like someone is putting Mobile 1 synthetic 5W-30 in the Hemi.
Looks like someone is putting Mobile 1 synthetic 0W-40 in the Hemi.

Why deviate from the recommended oil???

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's kinda a preference thing. The part of the contry that you live in will also vary your choice of oil weight. Also, the syn oil will run a tad thinner than the dino oils. 5w30 in syn is about the same thickness as a 5w20 dino oil.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Regarding oil selection

Every owners manual I have had before - including three Chrysler products - has a "recommended" oil viscosity for all temperatures but would also provide acceptable temperature ranges for other oils with my preference usually being 5W-30 in the winter and 10W-30 in the summer.
2005 D only states 5W-20 recommended - provide no other information regarding additional options and the local oil change place - what can I say, the use synthetic and I have four more free changes thanks to a gift around the holidays, balked at putting anything other than 5W-20 in the vehicle - telling me I would void my warranty on the spot. Now, these guy are hardly Chrysler/Dodge policy makers so I don't put a lot of stock in what they say - but makes me wonder when I can find no mention of acceptable oil other than 5W-20 which, I think, may as well be water.
Idea? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Big3 said:
5w-30 maybe? I don't think anyone makes 5w-20...
Just about all of the major oil manufacturers make 5W-20.

Also, TSB 09-013-04; Gasoline Engine Oil Quality and Viscosity Grades, states that 2005 Durango, 5.7L should have 5W-20 installed.

Additionally, the TSB calls for the oil to not only be API Certified, but must meet Chrysler's Material Standard MS-6395.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thats TSB only relates to some of the 2005 Dodge models, that is why I didn't have it referenced in Infotraxx.com for my 2004. 5w-20 seems a little thin (like qualifying oil back in the day at Daytona).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big3 said:
Thats TSB only relates to some of the 2005 Dodge models, that is why I didn't have it referenced in Infotraxx.com for my 2004. 5w-20 seems a little thin (like qualifying oil back in the day at Daytona).
Just as an FYI...

The attached TSB lists 14 2005 models.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.