DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Dodge Ram 1500, reg cab, short bed, 4x2.

Last night I found my rear left tire was flat. So I though I had a simple 10 minute tire change to do before I could eat dinner. I got the jack kit out from under the passenger seat, laid it out on the floor of my garage behind the back bumper, set the extensions, put them through the hole that leads to the wench, turned.... and nothing.

It feels like the extensions to lower the wench and spare tire, are just not catching on anything. I got a flashlight to see what the heck I could be missing. It looks like I need a kind of 5 sided socket. But the end of the extensions are only 4 sided. I thought I must just be an idiot and doing something wrong so I looked at the manual but it did not go into this kind of detail.

So I called over my Dad and a couple neighbors curiousity prompted them to come over. Of the four of us, all we could think of was that either there is a problem with the wench or that I am missing a part needed to catch onto the wench to be able to turn and lower it. This was after everyone took a turn trying to insert the extensions and figure out why it was not catching or lowering.

I was lucky this happened at home. I would have felt like an idiot on the side of the road trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

I am going to call the dealer when they open this morning. But I was wondering in the meantime if anyone had come across this or what they did?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
no man, I haven't come across it, my "wrench" is like a square, and so is the lowering mechanishm end. If the dealer doesn't have any idea, then you could just crawl under there and take a cresent wrench to it, but you obviously wouldn't want to do that everytime. Just see if you can have it replaced, if the dealer can't do anything about it. Let us know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just called the dealer and they ran my name, brought up my truck in thier system. Looks like someone made a small mistake. They gave me the standard jack with extensions. But as a feature when I bough the truck, on the wench they put a lock. I was suppose to get an add on to the extension which would unlocked it and pull it out, then I would pop off the add on and just the extension to lower the wench. But since I never got the key that fits on to the extension, I was SOL. But they said they will try to get a new key ready for me to pick up on the way home after work. They hop it will fit since ever key is different and my truck is not at the dealer. If it doesn't I will just tow it in. I was gonna have the 36k tune up done on Monday anyways...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
lol, that would be a problem!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.