DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a little clarification here. I know some of the early 03 hemis had a problem eating valves. I heard that DC switched vendors and the problem has been resolved ever since. What I haven't figured out yet is what was actually breaking. The valve itself, or is it the valve spring breaking? If the spring breaks, I can see the complete valve dropping into the cylinder, but I seem to recall somebody saying the valve was the faulty part and the stem could break. Please clarify. Also does anybody have a production date of the change over to the new vendors parts? My hemi has Feb. 2003 casting dates. Hopefully, it is the valve spring that is breaking and not the valve itself. I've got a set of the Manley springs just waiting to go in when I find a free day....

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
a couple things for you.
1. welcome to DT
2. get those springs installed
3. where are you at in AZ?

i am under the impression that it is the valve spring that breaks. and that they were upgraded mid year (asumin it was about april) someone will chime in on this im sure.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The springs have a color code: Green are the faulty springs and brown are the replacements (good ones).

I have an '03 with a production date of Feb. and was told by DC that my truck is not affected (based on my VIN). You could ask your dealer or you could call DC customer service and provide your VIN and they will tell you.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I too have a Hemi with an February 03 production date. With almost 90,000 miles on my truck, I guess that I am a little concerned about the possiblity of a major engine problem.

Why no TSB or recall notice if DC knows there is a problem? Do they actually know the exact engines which might have the problem. Is it documented somewhere. My truck is a whole bunch out of warranty, but if it is a documented problem, I should have some ammunition for spring replacemant, right?

Any suggestions about how I should approach my dealer's service department on this matter. It is a big "five star" dealership but not a very damn friendly or knowledgeable one.

What is the best way to deal directly with DC Customer Service and how do I contact them.?

I sort of plan to trade my truck next spring. I sure don't want any expensive surprises this winter.

Tom :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.