Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 1500 Dodge ram. Q/C with the 4.7l engine 69k miles

CAI,Flowmaster,

I was wondering what this 6.1l camshaft swap was all about..

Im looking to purchase a new aggressive cam for my Truck.

which would give me more erratic idle and would give more pull through the gears... the 6.1 cam, comp cam, krc, Etc...

figure a low to decent budget

If the Cpu needed to be tuned... would this do the job?
Dodge TRI-TUNE MAX MICROTUNER (#SUP003715)

·
Registered
589 Posts
6.1 wont work on the 4.7 6.1 is for the Hemi.
KRC has a line up of cams. I e-mailed them recently and they 206 works withteh stock tune.
Im planing on getting a converter first then ill look to a cam for more speed.
Batman

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gears

How are those 4.56 Motive Gears?!? do they destroy your MPG?! whats the launch like!?

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
The 4.56's do nothing but good for your mileage. You still have to keep to the old rules regarding good mileage (like keeping RPMs below 2000), which means that cruising speed will be lower. But my switch has been good for a decent 2MPG in town (when I can keep my foot off of the floor mat, lol).

As far as the launch? The moment I put it in gear for the first time I knew. The very first stoplight confirmed it. This thing feels like a muscle car. It lifts the nose and squats hard (time for traction bars now). I'm glad I went to a limited slip, otherwise I'd melt the right rear.

·
Registered
589 Posts
yeah those 4.56s are great. RPMS only go up a couple hundred and even then the MPG is still good becuase the truck is easier to push.
the laughn is perfect. Had a car playing with me the other night on the way home from work. At the next light i droped it in first andhammered it off the line. no slip just grabbed and go. the car stoped messing with me and never pulled up even to me again lol.
Now after second gear the littl 287 doesnt pull it that hard lol :D
Batman

·
Registered
176 Posts
I second the third gear drop off with our little 4.7's. My truck yanks pretty hard up to 50mph, then it falls off. I am getting a viper fan and ASP pulley next month. Hope that wakes here up even more. After that will be the 206's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4.56 gears

So you guys got me hooked on this 4.56 gears...
Where can I purchase these gears.. and does it come limited slip or posi?

Will I be able to install this myself

·
Registered
589 Posts
Most of us here had them installed. we had a group buy not to long ago.
All it is is the ring and pionon no posi that is seperate.

·
Very Niiiice! :)
4,470 Posts
how much did the install run you for the LSD and 456 gears?

I got the 456s in the group buy a while ago but waiting for christmas for the LSD, then i will install both in january or february to prepare for the new rims/tires in march.

thx
-David

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rear end size

what is the rear end size on the 2003 1500 4.7L Q/C.. I was told that it was 9.25".. Is that right!? and which 4.56 gears should i get.. and what about the cost for the LSD

·
Registered
589 Posts
I paid 250 for the instalation of my gears, already had the LSD. I was quoted at 370 to 1200 dollars for instalation ( laughed at the guy who wanted 1200)
Batman

·
Registered
176 Posts
I paid $290. No LSD install though

·
RamByBlood
1,309 Posts
I have the 206 cam and man I love it!!! The idle is slightly rougher, nothing like muscle cars though but you can hear it, my friends notice it, and even my wife asked me about it "why is it running funny?" < --- LOL

Was it worth the $$? To me, yes it was ... I could tell a nice difference in the launch and the pull through the RPM's :D

It's one of my top recommended mods, besides of course 4.56's, a tuner, and shift kit. I smoked an older mustang the other day, it was nothing special but the younger kid thought he had himself a race car and kept revving up approaching and at the light. I had him by like 3 car lengths in 2nd up to about 60mph and then I turned off as to not get caught or worse.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep

sounds like the gears will be my first mod.. then the cam or tune.. Thanks everyone..

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think one of these days I may remove my HO cams and do the 206's or better.
I had the 355's when I did the HO cams. Now with the 4.56 and the 29" tires it takes off like a raped ape. 3rd gear is when mine looses the edge as well.

These 4.7's could make a few more ponies if we unleashed some breathing in the upper RPM's.

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
i went from the HO's to the 206's.. my advice, if you do have the HO's & thinking of swapping for the 206's would be>>>>>>> do it!!!! :rck:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.