Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2002 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9 / 108,000 miles

I will try to give as much detail as possible, we have had it since April, runs very well and is in great condition, had a minor issue with the idle which ended up just needing new spark plugs. Other then that it works great. The check engine light is on, which gives misfire codes for several cylinders, which is probably just a bad distributor cap and spark plug wires, haven't gotten around to doing that yet, but the truck still drives excellent anyways so I haven't bothered yet to switch those out. In July the radiator fan went out which I replaced it, days after that I removed the annoying clutch fan as it seemed to still maintain a temperature of about 1/4 to 1/2 way on the temperature gauge even in 90+ degree heat, but sometimes it would heat up a little over the 1/2 way point in stand still traffic, nothing serious. But the feeling of driving without the annoying clutch fan sound is heaven to my hears. The only other bad thing recently is that it is hard to start when its been sitting for a while (Cold engine), I will turn the key, the starter would turn but not start or take a few extra seconds to start. If I turn it once, then flip the key back and start it again, it starts right up no problem. So that has been going on for a few weeks, I figured maybe that is related to the spark plug wires/cap, maybe an ignition coil.

Until last week, we were sitting at a grocery store with the truck running, then all of a sudden it died. Tried to start it back up and the starter would turn, but it would not start. It gave me a NO BUS signal on the odometer after I realize the gauges were "dead". I check the codes by holding down the trip button and it gives 920, 921, and 999.

We started to call a tow truck and about an hour or so later, it started and the gauges came back on, started it and drove it home. I unplugged the ECM and plugged it back in, tightened any grounds I could find, and then it starts up just fine, no hesitation anymore or check engine light. The next morning I start it up and it starts up no problem, no hesitation, no having to turn the key and do it over to start it, starts like it is a brand new vehicle, PLUS the check engine light is no longer on. So we drove it in the morning with no issues. In the afternoon we go to start it up, starts up no problem, but stalls after about 5 mins of idling. I got a little worried, but it started right back up no problem just like it had done the last day. We went ahead drove it and it died while on the road about 10 mins away from the house. NO BUS displayed again with the same codes (920, 921, 999), its never starts again so we have it towed back to the house. I take ECM out thinking maybe that is the problem and then replug it back in and reinstall it and then I go to start it and all of the gauges react when I turn the key and it starts right up. I am afraid to drive it again for fear it may happen again.

I am not sure if it is the ECM, but because that is $300 I just don't want to throw into it and it not be the problem. I am thinking its could be a short somewhere too but I have no idea where to check. But I found an ECM on carcomputerexchange.com for $228 (1 year warranty) or $338 (lifetime warranty), cheapest I have found. I am just afraid to fork over $300+ for something that may or may not be the problem. I have read a lot about the ECMs and realize they were mounted in the worst place possible in Dodges, but that is not important now. I just need to figured out what to do and I figured I would ask others who own the same vehicle if they experienced this or know of a possible fix for this situation as this is our family car.

As of right now, it will start up and run, I am just afraid to drive it anywhere because of the possibility of dying while driving. :frown

Also is there a place that can test the ECM/PCM if I bring them it without the vehicle?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue with my `01 with the 4.7. The no bus is most likely the ECM is shutting off for various reasons. Mine was a faulty solder connection in the power and would usually reset with a tap but got to the point it wouldn't run at all so I switched out the ECM. I've also heard it could be the BCM but that shouldn't affect the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.