DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying an '02 or '03 Durango (4.7L). I want the 3.92 axle to give me the greater towing capacity, but I read somewhere that this was an option and not the standard (which is 3.55). Is that true? Will it be hard for me to find a 3.92 axle?
I also read somewhere about someone who mentioned changing it. Is that realistic? Can you change a 3.55 to a 3.92 with a reasonable effort? How many hours would it take a Dodge mechanic to do that?

Thanks,
d

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
I don't know that you'll have TOO much luck finding a 4.7L with the 3.92's. Any R/T has 3.92's, but they also only have the 5.9L only.

I would think the only 4.7L's you would find with 3.92 gearing are going to have factory tow packages as it was not standard. however, the gear change was standard I believe with the factory tow package.

You wouldn't probably want a dealer to do your gear changes as I doubt they do that very often. A good offroad shop if you have one in your area would be a good place to start. Ask around, you'll find someone that people keep on referring to (positively I would hope...) With 4WD expect to pay about $1200 for gears and labor. While you're at it you may as well get 4.10's and not 3.92's if you're going from 3.55's.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
If you're concerned about towing capacity, at least start out w/a D with the factory tow package.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The 3.92 was a seperate option on the order sheet in 99. I don't have tow package so I am not sure if it is also part of it also. Ye the gears can be changed but it will cost (depending on where you go) between 800-1500 for both axles if you are looking at a 4x4.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Oh yeah, if you swap gears you need to reprogram revolutions into the CAB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.