Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was hoping I could pick a few brains on an issue I am having.My father in law has an 01 RAM with 72k miles on it. Just recently it has started having a few random issues.

First:

The heater blows cold. Even with a very hot engine, it still blows cold. At first this was intermittent. Sometimes it would get heat, sometimes not. When it would get heat, it would take a very long time before warm air started coming out.

Second:

At any RPM (Even idling) the engine heats up clear into the red, then it drops below the halfway mark.. then it heats up into the red again, then back to halfway mark.. etc.

The radiator fan is kicking on fine. The radiator doesn't seem to be getting as hot as it should be and it spotty to the touch. I helped him replace the T-Stat today. That didn't fix it. I told him to take it down and have it powerflushed as well (he has never had this done). I will see if that helps at all.

Could this be a water pump issue?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not a believer in flushing radiators, blocks ok, but not radiators - water will seek the easiest path and plugged tubes aren't the easiest path- if its spotty hot cold replace it- and I THINK you also have a plugged up heater core. Anybody put stop-leak in the system? Several times? Hope you have some luck and its not what I suggest, let us know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply,

I dont think stop leak has ever been put in the system...

Oh another thing to add,

The reservoir for the coolant was completely empty when I went over yesterday... I dont see any leaks or smell coolant though.

·
Registered
994 Posts
how many miles? has the water pump been replaced? you can also check it by removing the belt and trying to turn the pump by hand. it should turn with a little effort (but not too much).

·
Registered
266 Posts
You just changed the thermostat, right? Did you lose coolant while doing that and not fill the tank- possible you filled tank and system sucked it up. A few hot/cold cycles and refills should top you up. Get it full and then we'll see if new thermo did help after all. Also check the lower radiator hose when hot-be careful- you are looking for a collapsed (sucked in) section. If you see it collapses, replace. And just because-replace the radiator cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.