DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at an 01 dodge cummin long bed quad cab. Auto with 144000 miles on it. Sport package. I was wonder what it its worth. And also things that i should look over b4 i buy it.

·
I disgaree...:)
2,032 Posts
4x4?

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
8-10 K, tops

·
2,032 Posts
8-10K? Where do you shop?

$10K is the absolute lowest for private party, average price is $11-12K with minimal options.

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
I agree ^^^^ How much are they asking? Let us know and there are some tricks that you can do to check some stuff before buying it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
All I know is that I wouldnt even think of parting with my truck for less than 20 k . I have over 6 k just in options into it and I have a motor that from what I hear , if taken care of will proably out last me. It is the perfect multi purpose vehicle/ toy. It can tow , it can haul , it can transport my family of six in luxury anywhere we want to go. I have room to spare for luggage and the dog, I have racks that can be loaded with construction materials and a couple of canoes with ease, I have a bed slide that is an absoute dream in terms of cargo handling, I have unbelievable power at my fingertips with the edge attitude, I can blow by most so called sports cars if I choose to, I have the capacity to double my power output if I invest in readily available parts . I feel that if I can manage to keep corrosion at bay ( I oil spray annually) Then this truck will be around for many more years. I am definitely a proud owner of my truck.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Here's a good thread that applies.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211745

A fuel pressure test kit is good to use to check for sufficient lift pump pressure.
If buying from a used car lot, put some fuel in it 1st check ride...a $1200 injector pump is easily damaged by lack of cooling & lubricating fuel and few are aware of that fact. There are likely many injector pumps destroyed at used car lots because those guys are too cheap to keep enough fuel in the tank.
Pics in My Gallery.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I'm not good with truck prices but a $36 fuel pressure test kit, available at most chain type auto parts stores, should be in all Dodge CTD owners toolbox to check lift pump fuel pressure on prospective buys, pals on the side of the road and against what gauges they install later.
The factory spec is 10psi at idle.

·
2,032 Posts
If it is in decent shape that is a STEAL! I sold my 2000 1/2 ton Off Road Ram with 120,000 miles for $10K in Feb of this year. Also I Feb I paid $17K for the truck in my sig, it only had 93,000 on it and prices have come down some since then due to diesel going up, but you see my point. I got this truck for under KBB price at the time.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
8-10K? Where do you shop?

$10K is the absolute lowest for private party, average price is $11-12K with minimal options.
Because of the price of diesel, the values have dropped. If you can get that god bless you. I was going to dump mine and go back to another dakota for a DD, but it just didn't make sense. But those are thypes of offers I was getting. This was in april-may of this year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you think about the tranny? How long do they usually last for? Dont know if it pulled a camper or any thing.

·
2,032 Posts
Because of the price of diesel, the values have dropped. If you can get that god bless you. I was going to dump mine and go back to another dakota for a DD, but it just didn't make sense. But those are thypes of offers I was getting. This was in april-may of this year.
Yes, I agree and I actually said that, but they have not dropped THAT much. You should look it up on NADA or KBB. My current 2001 booked at $19K in Feb this year and books today at $14K private part sale good condition.

I doubt you could pick-up a 2001 CTD at any dealership for ~$10K or less unless it is a 2x4 and has serious miles.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
mine's not going anyplace, I've scrapped that idea. I'd have to drive the Dakota for 10+ years to see any kind of long term fuel savings that would make the deal worth it. You know how the dealers try and beat you down on a trade, that's the prices I was quoting

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
I would sure check it over real good. Ill create a little check list for ya.

1. Check Engine Oil: Smell the oil and check the dip stick for discoloration <made that up... If it kinda looks like a rainbow of colors on the dip stick that you cant wipe off the engine has been over heated. A little it was not heated up too much, a lot... A lot of heat.

2. Check the transmission dip stick. These usually dont have any discoloration but again smell the fluid. If it smells burnt then the transmission was over heated also. This is not too uncommon, usually calls for a fluid flush, new filter, and gasket. ( I recomend silicone on both surfaces of the gasket or it will still leak)

3. Take off the raidiator cap and check the collor of the coolant. It should be as green as the grass in your yard. (If it looks like mine) And the check the over flow bottle to see if there is any debris in it. You can actually take it off easily. Loosen the hose clamp on top and slide the bottle up and it will pop out. Now you can see if there is anything on the bottom. Or just crawl under the truck and look.

4. Now I would check the power steering fluid. Make sure it has some atleast and that it looks ok, and go ahead and check the brake fluid while your on that side. Its prob gonna look brown. Normal.

5. Now I would check the fuel pressure with the test kit Clunk described earlier. you can connect it to the fitting on the bottom side of the filter housing. You can axcess it from under the fender on the driver side. Once hooked up turn the key to the on position and tap the starter but dont start the engine. The lift pump should cycle for 20-25 seconds and record what the pressure is during this. Once its done then start the engine and record that pressure. (Post it back on here and we will feed more advice)

6. Something most people dont check is the slipage of the transmission on these trucks. You can do this by starting the truck, putting it in drive, and push the brake as far as you can. Now accelerate while holding the brake, dont let it move. Keep accelerating untill you reach 2000 RPM. And hold it for a few seconds, if you dont feel any slipage in the transmission then you are good. Slowly let off the accelerator, give the truck some time to cool down then turn it off.

7. And as usual I would lay under the truck and just look around for anything that looks out of the ordinary. Oil leaks, wire hanging, cut brake lines lol. Just general stuff.

Good luck man.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.