DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. I replaced my alternator yesterday, and my 00 4.7 durango started right up. I than drove most of the day today with no issues. Than, I got back in the truck, and it just started turning over, but won't start. Not sure if one has anything to do with the other, but I need a quick resolution. Any Ideas.... HELP>..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm.. The battery is only 1 year old. Is it possible that by driving the car for a period of time when the alternater was not working properly, that It may have effected the battery? It appears I have good power when trying to turn over the car etc?

·
Banned
270 Posts
It depends on how long the alternator wasn't charging the battery properly. The PCM has to see a programmed minimum voltage from the battery, in order to fire the ignition system.

Your battery may have enough voltage to spin the starter, but not enough to start the truck. Like I mentioned before, Dodge truck PCM's are very sensitive to battery voltage.

If your battery is only a year old, you would have to pay very little if any for a new one, due to pro-rating of time. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Since you just swapped out the alternator, this is very suspicious. To exonerate the alternator & voltage regulation, check the voltage at rest, then start (jump?) and check the voltage again, after a few minutes. You should see values @ approx. 12.7v (rest), and 14.4v (running). If your alternator is getting to at least 14v, then your battery is questionable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone!! Thanks so much for the feedback. This is a great resource for information. I am going to check the battery and see where that gets me.
Thanks again ALL!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.