DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Is My First Time Using This Site. I Really Dont Know Too Much About It. I Have A 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 With A 3.9. I Have Been Having Issues With My Heads, Head Gasket Or Something. I Have The Heads Off And Getting Checked. But My Question Is On Re-installation. Here Is A List Of Things That I Need To Know.

1. Torque Sequence/ Specs.
2. What Kind Of Head Gaskets.
3. What Kind Of Head Bolts.
4. General Knowledge ( Any Other Info. That May Be Needed)

Thanks For Your Help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I Also Need To Know Torque Sequence On Intake And Also Torque Specs. I Have Taken These Heads Off Twice And Thought I Knew What I Was Doing, To Find Out I Really Dont Know Jack Sh*t. So Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks For All Your Help.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Starting at top center, tighten all cylinder head bolts, in sequence, to 68 N·m (50 ft. lbs.) torque Cylinder Head Bolt -Tightening Sequence Repeat procedure, tighten all cylinder head bolts to 143 N·m (105 ft. lbs.) torque. Repeat procedure to confirm that all bolts are at 143 N·m (105 ft. lbs.) torque.

As far as head gaskets. If you can find metal head gaskets use those. Head bolts just standard head bolts from the dealer or where ever you can find them. You can re-use the head bolts as long as they arent necked. If it was me i would get new ones, just to be sure. Make sure to clean the block surface well. Make sure when who ever is inspecting the heads to make sure they're not warped. Spec is anything under 0.009in.

As for the intake. make sure to replace the plenum gasket.
If the plenum pan was removed, position a new gasket and install the plenum pan Plenum Pan Bolt Tightening Sequence Tighten bolts in the following sequence:
Step 1. Tighten bolts to 5.4 N·m (48 in. lbs.)
Step 2. Tighten bolts to 9.5 N·m (84 in. lbs.)
Step 3. Check bolts to 9.5 N·m (84 in. lbs.)

Install the intake manifold bolts and tighten as follows (Intake Manifold Bolt Tightening Sequence):
Step 1. Tighten bolts 1 and 2 to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) Tighten in alternating steps 1.4 N·m (12 in. lbs.) at a time
Step 2. Tighten bolts 3 through 12 to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.)
Step 3. Check all bolts are torqued to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.)
Step 4. Tighten all bolts in sequence to 16 N·m (12 ft. lbs.)
Step 5. Check all bolts are torqued to 16 N·m (12 ft. lbs.)

hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
i like to add a little . i would chase the threads in the block before you torque the heads or intake down with the appropiate sized thread chaser or the bolts might not get torqued down properly .:gr_patrio

·
Bridal Veil Falls
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Alot Canandian I Have Searched Endless Hours On The Internet To Find Exactly What You Told Me With No Luck. You Sure Are A Big Help. Hopefully Maybe I Can Return The Favor One Day. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Glad to help, used to have to backyard all my stuff too when i was younger but now working as a mechanic for chrysler i get access too all that kinda stuff. Hope the install goes well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks For All Of The Help! Had The Heads Rebuilt, Replaced Them With All New Top End Gaskets And It Runs Great. Thanks For All Your Help.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Glad to hear everything worked out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.