DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· The Dodge Family
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y'all,
season´s ends over here in europe! On our last trip to the Halloween Run in Spa, Belgium i noticed, that the old Ramblin' Van had problems going uphill. Seemed to me, that the ignition didn´t adjust when puttin' the pedal to the metal - if U know what I mean.
Any suggestions?
It´s an '83, 318ci V8 with an EGR-system. I own it since '94. Somebody before me must have made a good mess with all these vacuum-hoses. I will change all the old ones and hope, that they´re the problem.
:help: Achim

Attachments

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Geez, I just love looking at ya'll's vacuum hose routing diagrams, from vehicle years similar to my '82. Big difference i might add, as mine has no EGR system.

Attachments

· The Dodge Family
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
These diagrams are really nice. Found a few of them in my manual - not even the one under the hood fits to the reality! I´m just wondering, if I need all these hoses. Here in germany we have very severe rules for exhaust gases. So I must check the co2- stuff. But first of all, the advance system for the ignition must work again.
Is that little blue one with the wing-doors Yours? looks nice. Did U change the doors by Yourself? :huh:
Greets
Achim

Attachments

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Yes the blue one is mine. The rear door is a f/g J&J door, which I found during the summer. The side is the original slider, which I cut into 2 pieces, and then gullwinged the upper section. I plan on using my old single rear door for the side, as it is near mint condition. Have a look at my "Years Progress" thread for better pics...Brad

· 4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,837 Posts
It appears that your dist advance is connected to manifold vacumn with a temp switch to shut it off when cold.
Follow the hose from the front of the carburator to the vapor (charcoal) canister to the temp switch and spark advance delay valve.
This goes to the distributor if the diagram is correct.

· The Dodge Family
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that´s the way it should be. But somebody before me cutted off the vapor canister and layed the line directly to the temp switch. The other line from the vapor can to the carb bowl vent is also cut off and goes from the carb to a t-piece, to the back of the carb and to the pcv valve on the valve cover. The pipes that come from the exhaust and are connected with the Air pump´s up- and downstream hoses are rusted thru. So I think the whole EGR system does not really work at all. I´m trying now to get rid off all the parts I don´t really need and hope that I get the self adjustment off distributor bach to work.
Thanks anyway :drivingz:

· 4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,837 Posts
On most vans I have seen the vacumn advance is connected to a ported vacumn source. (One that is covered by the edge of the throttle plate and opens as the throttle is opened) The manifold advance system was used to try to lower emissions, and apparently that's not what your looking for... It seems drivabilty is an issue in your case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.