DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need your opinions and feedback on homemade intake

12K views 187 replies 45 participants last post by  Taz216 
#1 ·
OK, went out to measure my TB opening and I had 3.5" outer diameter. Since I had everything I needed and had the hemi hat off, I went ahead and knocked it out in the last two hours.

If anyone sees anything wrong that will hurt my engine, please tell me. I am a rookie at this stuff and trust ya'lls opinions and comments. I originally bought 3" pipe, but a member on here said 4" would suit it better so I changed to 4" I have disconnected the battery to reset the computer and clear the check engine light that came on. I started the engine without re-connecting the sensor and the light came on. Now that I have reset the PCM, how long before my engine knows it can suck more air???? The filter is located right next to the factory hole in the fender for the stock airbox. I might duct some air from below to feed it cool air. I know this isn't Vararam or RamHammer, but it should perform better than stock, NO?

Not a bad $70 intake including a K & N filter huh? Just got to fab up a bracket to hold it and get it painted to match my truck.....

Thoughts and opinions please. Here are the photos.....

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Good job.
clean execution.
Yes you will find a difference in the throttle response, for the better, if mine is to go bye.
most of us tend to extend further to the front and then angle it down at 30 deg or so, and then add the AIR=RAM (DT sponsor)scoop to the front of the rad to direct more cold air to the filter, (refer to threads).
Paint it black?
Hope you re-installed the sensor, you need it.(keep it in the best flow area)

Again well done.

here is mine, the second pic is the AIR=RAM scoop.

Attachments

#4 ·
Max, yes I re-installed the sensor... my filter is right next to the factory hole in the fender where the stock box got its fresh air from. I can't put the jetstream scoop on because my Hellas behind my grill are in the way. I may move them over using the light bar that holds 4 lights and install that scoop if I need to. I plan on painting the tubing either the color of my truck or black... not sure yet.

#5 ·
Oh yeah, one more thing then, you will want to put a heat shield around your filter area to keep the heat from the engine being sucked in It will help a lot . (the colder the air the better)
What year is yours, I didn't know there was a factory hole for air there,? on mine that would only go to the wheel well which is sealed by a wheelwell liner.

#6 ·
Nice Crapper tube!!!! j/k looks clean. if you find a shield that works around the 4" tube let me know.....The only shields I could find only have 3.5" hole max.

Oh yeah... why does your 4" look smaller then mine......CAI that is.....I see you found the little oil breathers...

#7 ·
You are funny Taz!! I used the lightweight PVC and the couplers are not as thick as your dinosaur.... Yes, I found the oil breather too. I wanted to start a club on here called the "Shitter Pipe Intake" club. You in? You could be member no. 2 (for shit, get it?)

#12 ·
Welcome to DT Miami Ram, how did you like all that rain last night, lol?

#13 ·
Looks like you probably read my how-to, its the same design. So how many people are using the oil breather filter vs. connecting the breather pipe to the intake? I used the same tiny filter but i've been worried that it might be better to connect it to the intake to create a vaccum.

#14 ·
OK, this is ridiculous....I'm considering getting rid of the one I bought on ebay so that I can make my own....I honestly like yours far more than mine!

#18 ·
You have to get rid of the air box!

#15 ·
Oh, and I also want to get the little oil air filter instead of connecting it to the intake...I've found oil inside my intake tube before because of it.

#164 ·
That looks Kick Ass!!! Gives me some more ideas.

#19 ·
Are you referring to the Hemi hat or the base part of the factory air box?

#21 ·
He is referring to the hemi hat. That is the biggest restriction. Also, the one you have is only 3" which is actually smaller than the stock hose. I would ditch that one ASAP.

What condition is it in though? If it still looks good cleaned up, then I might be willing to take it off your hands. That is the one I used to build my dual intake.

#22 ·
Pretty simple stuff....all from Home Depot (except the K&N filter)
(1) 3" to 4" rubber coupler
(1) 4" to 4" rubber coupler
(1) 17" piece of 4" straight tube ( I had to buy the whole 8' piece)
(2) 90* elbows 4" to 4"
(1) cone filter

I used all lightweight pvc pipe. The throttle body has a 3.5" outer diameter and the 3" side of the rubber coupling is actually 3.5" and fits perfectly. I havent fabbed up my brace yet and I am just using a zip tie to hold it in place. The hole for the air sensor is 9/16" and I siliconed it in place so it wouldnt fall out or twist on me.

I drove it around 40 miles tonite, don't feel a big difference yet but I can hear it......

I paid $48 for the filter at Advanced Auto and the rest of the pipe stuff was about $20. It took me 2 hrs from start to finish and I dont know what the hell I am doing...

If you do it, post your finished product!!

#24 ·
But you can still run the small filter, right? I don't see any reason you can't.

#26 ·
Thanks Matt. Did you get my pm?

#28 ·
I'll try to get it done tomorrow.

#30 ·
Matt, as I read more about home made intakes, someone said that the pvc could crack or break and get sucked into the engine. Have you or anyone out there EVER hear of this happening? It may just be a ploy to get people to spend money on higher dollar intakes, but if there is an instance where this has happened, I will question my decision to go home made. I know nothing is perfect or guaranteed, but there is an acceptable amount of risk one should take.....

#31 ·
I have never heard of that...I can't see why it would break off unless it was installed cracked or something caused it to crack (i.e. dropping a wrench on it.) Hopefully someone will chime in here...

#34 ·
I had an intake backfire on my truck once! lol Bout scared the shit out of me,literally. It was after the 260 install and we had the heads off twice cuz of some issues (Gasket reversed). Oil and coolant don't mix in case you didn't know. ;) Anyways, after cranking her over about 15 times, the little add on filter of my custom CAI literally blew out of the lid of my airbox. Made a frickin loud ass pop and sent a few guys almost diving out of the way. LMFAO :thatfunny It was hilarious, wish I recorded it.

KB

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.