DodgeTalk Forum banner

Engine Tick During Cold Start

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  guyonearth 
#1 ·
I have an '09 with the 5.9L. Bought it new, and currently has only 63,000 miles on it. Over the past couple years, it has become a garage queen, but I still enjoy driving it a couple times a month or whenever my friends, family, or I need a truck. Only Mobile 1 5W20 since new, which I meticulously change every 9-10 months regardless of miles. Anyhow, over the past year it has developed a very noticeable engine tick during colds starts, which last approx. 5 seconds. This doesn't always occur during cols start, but seems most prevalent when truck has been sitting for a couple weeks without being started. The symptoms tell me this is temporary oil starvation to the top end. Should I be concerned with this affecting engine life or long term performance?

#2 ·
without spending a boatload of time and/or money, try using a heavier weight oil, say 30 weight n see if the "ticking" goes away. If it's a mechanical tick, then many things can be the cause. Start simple n move to the complex is always a good notion when troubleshooting.

#3 ·
Seems like a really normal start up after sitting with that many miles on it and that rather low weight oil. All my cars and trucks with 60-240 k mi. do this same thing to various degrees even with 5-30 high end synthetic, which you might consider as it has miles and seems to be garaged, right? You're doing well by your truck - so, don't worry, be happy...

#4 ·
I'll echo the 5W30 here as well. I tried the 5W20 only to get a slight squeal on the front bearing. Only had the 5W20 in the engine 1-day. Went and swapped the 5W30 back in. No more issues.

5W20 works well in the minivan, but not for a larger push rod engine setup. Glad this wasn't a 0W20 problem.

#5 ·
Changing oil weights will probably not resolve this. The simple answer is that oil is running out of a lifter causing a tick, it's harmless. The difference in running viscosity between 5W-20 and 5W-30 is minimal, at best. These guys who claim they can detect some major difference in how an engine works based on a change of one step in viscosity, well, what can I say, confirmation bias.

#6 ·
Guy, I never "confirmation biased" anything or claimed a surefire repair, I merely stated a troubleshooting method. I've done this stuff since the late '70's. The 1st thing I was taught by ol' time gear heads 40 years ago when troubleshooting problems, was to start simple...always. Step 1 in a simple to complex method. The only confirmation bias here is yours, or so it seems.

#7 ·
He's trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. If by chance he puts a different oil in there, and by chance, it happens not to drain out for whatever reason, he'll think he fixed a non-existent problem by using the wrong oil for the engine to eliminate 5 seconds of ticking. How is this possibly of benefit? This is how myths and fallacies get started. If the truck is supposed to use 5W-20, that's what should be used. He could always switch to conventional, it's a little stickier and doesn't drain back so fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.