DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

overdrive OFF button? and louder horn

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  KJRich 
#1 ·
first concerns the overdrive OFF button i am constantly turning the overdrive off when i am in town (which is most of my driving). is there a mod that makes the overdrive OFF into an overdrive ON button rather than turning it off all of the time and sometimes forgetting to turn it off?

and second refers to the horn. i think the horn on my ram is out of a ricer or somthing it is not the horn that i would expect out of a truck i want a horn that says :director: GET OUT OF MY WAY @$$hole well maybe not say that exactly but yall get the idea haha

thanks-

#4 ·
It is beneficial to leave the computer to do the shifting, unless towing or climbing grades.

Make sure both of your horns are working by unplugging them individually and testing their sound quality.
Low line trucks had only one horn from original but you can add the other if not equipped originally.

#5 ·
KJRich yeah that kind of kit would be perfect for my OD worries

six pack both horns work they just have a weak sound to them not really MEAN sounding i think im gonna look into some air horns mounted under then hood like jedi suggested

thanks for your posts

#6 ·
Horn

I agree on the wimpy horn so I installed a 115db air horn (Dual Horns) on my truck. $15 at out auto swap meet near me. I also left my stock horn hooked up. Needless to say you know when I want you to move!:D

One bonus is that my alarm is tied into the stock horn with the sperate siren too. So the siren goes off and in between tone changes it blasts the horn twice...........Nice and loud. Extra attention! I accidently set off my alarm at work and I am on the second floor behind glass and the truck was about 50 to 75 yards away from the building and I heard it going off.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

#8 ·
my truck goes through a safety inspection every year should i make the horns mounted on quick disconnects and rehook up the factory horns at time of inspection? or do i have nothing to worry about with DB levels in UTAH?

thanks-

#10 ·
your local parts house should have aftermarket (air) horns that'll be legal

#11 ·
Not sure about the pre-made kit for the Overdrive issue, but here's the DIY method

This modification reverses the O/D switch, so it stays off until you press it to go activate O/D.
Posted by Evan A. Beck to the TDR Forum: It's a VERY easy thing to do... I came up with this one night, and was surprised how simple it is. All you need is a regular accessory relay and some wire.
But first, some info on how the OD switch works. TO turn OD on or off, it requires a pulse of ground, which is what the OD switch does. It is a momentary-contact type switch, and when you press it, it gives ground to the PCM telling it to turn OD on or off. ***FYI, the Ford E4OD and 4R100 work the same way, but just use 12V+ to the PCM instead of ground.
So basically, all you need to do is give the PCM a ground pulse when you start the truck. Standard relay terminals are:
• 85: Coil 12V+
• 86: Coil ground
• 87: Normally open
• 87A: Normally closed
• 30: Common feed
Wiring needed:
• Connect the relay coil (pin 85) to the starter relay wire - dark blue with a yellow tracer in the steering column wiring harness.
• Connect ground to pin 86.
• Connect ground to 30 - this will be the ground feed for the pulse to the PCM.
• Connect a wire from 87 to the OD wire - orange with a white tracer.
When you turn the key to the START position, it will trigger the coil in the relay, and give ground to the OD switch wire going to the PCM, thereby locking out OD, until the button is pushed. Basically, it would be like holding the OD button down while you start the truck. It works. Try it.
For 2001 Rams - Posted to the TDRoundtable by Garrett (Big White Beast)
For the 2001 the starter relay wire is yellow and it runs through the clutch in switch which is just a jumper on the AT's. I hooked the positive of a 24V relay to the wire on the clutch in switch. The negative to ground and then jumpered the ground to common on the relay. Then the orange with white stripe wire coming from the OD switch is tied to N.O. on the relay. At start up the relay activates and gives a ground pulse to the OD switch turning it off. Just pull off the knee plate under the dash and everything is right there. Plenty of room to mount the relay too.

#12 ·
cool thanks i think i can get that done in a few hrs will try probably next weekend

#13 ·
I think the kit works on basically the same concept as Ofelas posted. However, if you can do it with the instructions he provided, I'd go for it. I just switch mine back and forth manually whenever I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.