DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

95 ram tranny

553 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  relkap 
#1 ·
Please advise,
The reverse gear on my 95 Ram 1500 larimie slt does not engage at first without applying gas. All other gears are functioning properely. Truck currently has 93000 miles. Will I need a new transmission. Can it withstand driving say another 30000 miles.
Thanks,
relkap:(

#2 ·
Sounds like it could be simple to fix (this is usually caused by a lack of fluid pressure - explaining why you need some gas to get it going). Of course, you did not mention if this symptom only happens on your sloped driveway. There are a couple of things that can cause low fluid pressure that can be on the simpler side to fix.

Uh, you did check the fluid level, yes (sorry, I had to ask)?

But you did say 93k miles, eh? Well, while a well maintained truck tranny won't need a rebuild at that point, you did say you want to drive another 30k miles, eh - for me, it would be a question as to the condition of the tranny (how does it shift, does it have metal in the fluid, does the fluid smell burned?) as to if I'd recommend a rebuild.

Short answer: Time for a trip to the tranny repair shop.

#3 ·
Christian
Yes the problem also occurs on level grade, but ittermittently. What type of transmission fluid should I be looking for? Is there a special kind? Obviously I am not a mechanic so I can be easily had by a transmission shop. What type of service should I inquire about? Is a dodge dealer the best place (sorry,had to ask) or would a place such as RJ Wheels be ok? I have already read some advise on not going to "aamco". That would not have been my first choice anyway. Should I look for a mom and pop shop?

Your time and advice are appreciated!
I need some piece of mind

Thanks very much
relkap

#5 ·
relkap,

If the problem is intermittent it still could be a number of quite simple things.
As far as fluid, DC recommends using ATF+4.
More than likely, your fluid is ATF+3 but if you did not have this truck from new, then there is no way to know for sure if the fluid had every been changed to ATF+4 (or ever changed at all).

Essentially, your truck came w/ATF+3 and DC says it is preferable to add (if/when needed) ATF+4. If your tranny had its fluid changed to ATF+4 already, then you could NOT go and add ATF+3 fluid (it would gum things up) but adding ATF+4 to existing ATF+3 is perfectly safe (and recommended) according to DC.

As far as where to take your truck, you are in luck. What I mean is that you are not currently stranded so you have a short bit of time to get a recommendation from people you trust. If no one in your family has ever had a transmission repair experience, then you could get resourceful and ask either friends or some folks at church - someone will have something nice to say about a shop in your town.

As far as going to a DC dealer for service, sure that's a good thing but if the tranny needs a rebuild, then you would be better off to go directly to a specialty shop with a good reputation (more than likely, your local DC dealer does not have the equipment necessary to perform a complex transmission repair or rebuild and they end up sub-letting the repair order to one of your better local tranny repair shops anyway).

In my area, most of the DC dealers sublet repair orders (and warranty work is the same) to a local outfit called "Cottman Transmissions" - Cottman is known nationwide.

As far as AAMCO, I don't have any negative experience with them so I couldn't say go to Cottman instead of AAMCO - it's best in your town to get a local recommendation.

Pep Boys or some other chain-based auto supply house should have ATF+4 on hand. Remember that the tranny fluid level needs to be checked with the vehicle as level as possible, with the engine hot (fully warmed up) and idling in Park. Do not overfill beyond the higher dot on the stick (slight hole).

It could be that your oil lines are clogged or that your tranny's pump is marginal... either way, it does not sound like you'll be out major cash like a rebuild. Again, if you rebuild or not depends more on the overall condition of the transmission and how much longer you need it to last.

And don't worry - it's not worth the waste of life energy to do so (worry) - then again, you didn't ask for a philosophical answer so feel free to ignore my rambling(s).... :D

#6 ·
Good advice Chrsitian,
I would like to add that you should check your trans while hot idling in neutral not park.

I would defintely check your dealer first, they usually have a reputation to keep(especially Five Star), and probably would not sell you something you don't need.

As far as your slow engagement you did not specify if this is after the vehicle sits for awhile.
If your truck sits for longer than a week between uses this could be just the fluid in the torque converter draining back, which is perfectly normal. Our transmissions do not run the lube circuit in park, only in neutral or any gear. It is advisable for anyone, after starting the vehicle to put it into neutral for a moment before selecting a gear for best transmission operation.

If you do not know the history of the trans servicing(it should be done every 15k for any trailering or by 30k if not) That would be the best place to start.
ATF+4 is the new factory semi-synthetic fluid that would benifit all older transmissions, but is not available anywhere but a Chrysler dealer in Canada, so I don't know about the US.

let us know how you make out:)

#7 ·
six pack said:
I would like to add that you should check your trans while hot idling in neutral not park.

My bad... come to think of it, I may have been doing it always in park. I think the last time I did a fluid check in neutral was on my '66 Plymouth Valiant (727 transmission) with the parking brake applied... oh well, like I said, my bad... thanks.

#8 ·
My extreme thanks to all that replied to date! The advice I got from a local dodge mechanic led me to the conclusion that the problem I am having is common with this truck at 95000mi and the rough shift to reverse can be lived with. "Do not replace the tranny, the same thing will probably happen again". "Make sure that the fluid level is checked frequently" which coincides with all other replies.

Thanks very much!
relkap

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.