DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

well, it's really fixed this time, but...

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  six pack 
#1 ·
i'm kinda bummed out now, even though i should be happy. after four months of aggravation, the truck is really, finally, officially fixed. first let me thank www.dodgeram.info for the vast information of recalls and TSB's they have on their site. i stumbled across this one wednesday

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/18-011-02.htm

which thoroughly and completely outlined the problem i've been having for over a year, how to fix it, the works, even down to how much time the technician is supposed to charge. i emailed this, plus an unpleasant note :VHOT: to my dealer's service department, and this time they were more than happy to service the truck. i even told them that i was not undoing any mods to the truck this time, and they didn't argue about it. they flashed the computer and gave me back the truck. no questions asked. this was friday, and i haven't had the problem again since. i've even tried my best to reproduce the problem by coming off the clutch fast at low rpms while the engine's cold (not how i normally drive), and it has been running fine. so this time it's really done. when they replaced the IAC motor it had been okay at first, but it was getting progressively worse each day with the hesitation, so i knew it still wasn't right.

so what's wrong? the TSB says "THERE WILL BE NO OTHER EFFECT ON VEHICLE OPERATION OR PERFORMANCE OTHER THAN THE ELIMINATION OF THE COLD HESITATION CONDITION." but i have to go against that. i don't know what all the flash did, but my truck has now lost a noticeable amount of power. it was a good bit more responsive before the PCM flash, but now it almost feels like bone stock, even with the upgrades i have on there now. i feel like i was damned if i didn't get it fixed, and now i'm damned 'cause i did. who knows? maybe the hesitation was caused by the engine putting out more power than it should? it doesn't seem to be taking in as much air now. i remember how the k&n intake used to sound when i was driving, while it was sucking in a lot of air, but now it doesn't seem as loud. could the flash have limited the airflow though the engine? i just wish i knew for sure what the cause of the problem was, and what exactly the flash did.

bittersweet joy in mudville...

See less See more
#2 ·
I would just like to thank you for posting the link to Dodge Info. It helped me to diagnose a problem I am having with my truck. Now I can just walk in with the Bulletin and tell the dealer this is whats wrong. Thanks man! :cheers:

#3 ·
coming back to life

you're quite welcome!

after 5 days and 200 or so miles, it seems to be getting a little more responsive now, closer to how it was before i took it in. maybe the flashed pcm had to re-learn the adjustments i have made. we'll see. :dunno:

#4 ·
Davcruz said:
I would just like to thank you for posting the link to Dodge Info. It helped me to diagnose a problem I am having with my truck. Now I can just walk in with the Bulletin and tell the dealer this is whats wrong. Thanks man! :cheers:
Well, just like I said, I carried the bulletin in and told them to fix it...and they did...and it took care of the problem! Thanks again bro!

Now if only there was a site like that for Chevy's, I could figure out what is keeping the CEL on in my wifes Monte...and I can go trade it for a Durango R/T. :D

#5 ·
kvndoom said:

so what's wrong? the TSB says "THERE WILL BE NO OTHER EFFECT ON VEHICLE OPERATION OR PERFORMANCE OTHER THAN THE ELIMINATION OF THE COLD HESITATION CONDITION." but i have to go against that. i don't know what all the flash did, but my truck has now lost a noticeable amount of power. it was a good bit more responsive before the PCM flash, but now it almost feels like bone stock, even with the upgrades i have on there now.
There may have been previous software upgrades that were also done at the same time. You can not pick and choose which software patch you would like. Each current update is a revision of all others.

I am wondering if the PING fix was in the list of available updates that got loaded into your truck, this effectively takes 6º timing out of the engine.

My 2¢:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.