DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Converters

683 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  HankL 
#1 ·
I recently replaced the Catalytic Converter on my 96 Ram with dual high flow converters. I attached pictures. Everything seems to be great and there has been a gain in both mileage as well as power. How will the computer respond? Does anyone have experience with this? All experience on this matter will be greatly appreciated!
Also I just found out that my throttle position sensor needs to be replaced is this a Shop job or can I do this myself?

'96 RAM 1500 Club Cab Laramie SLT (Black)
4X2
318ci
HD 4spd trans & HD towing pkg
152,000 mi and counting
dual high flow Catalytic Converters
(hopefully a complete high flow exhaust by this summer)
265/75R16 Firestone Steeltex R4S II

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I also have a 96 Dodge Ram and had to have the cat replaced back in November (still under warranty with Chrysler) and found that I could do a dual cat system, but was going to have to add 2 more O2 sensors for the driver's bank. I'm sure you've notivced some imnprovements, but be sure to check out how many O2 sensors you have at the existing cat. What can happen is the computer can get false readings and throw your whole system into turmoil. If you do go thru the hassle of adding two more sensors, be sure to have the computer flashed for that as well.

Needless to say, I'm rethinking the whole header situation which I want to do to my Ram.

#3 ·
I think you have done the right thing by going to 2 catalytic converters, instead of relying on the advertising of the aftermarket companies that their single replacement converters are trully 'low restriction.'

2 cats will more reliably drop the backpressure by a factor of square root of 2.

Judging by Engine Analyser 3.0 software and Kenne Bell's reported dyno tests on a '98 5.9V8, I would guess that you will see a wide open throttle torque gain in the 5-10 ft-lb range, and a real MPG gain at steady 70 mph highway cruising speed of about 0.2 to 0.5

Only downside I can see is that the two converters will take longer to warm up from a cold start and your engine's pollution during this period will be slightly more.

When you go in for emissions testing (if you have that in your area) keep your engine idling while waiting and make sure it is fully hot when tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.