DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gas mileage 5.9L vs 5.2L - insignificant?

19K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Bryanh23 
#1 ·
Hi,
Finally getting around to getting a Ram 1500 (used second vehicle). I found 2 decent deals: 2001 Laramie with 27K for $17,800 or 2000 SLT with 33K for $18,900. Both are 2WD Quad Cab automatics.

Both have nearly identical features (SLT power everything package). Biggest difference besides mileage is alloy wheels/bedliner/5.2L on the 2000 and tow package/5.9L on the 2001.

The 2001 seems a better deal, but a friend of mine said his dad's 5.9L '94 Ram's gas mileage sucks compared to his own 5.2L '98. Is this still the case with the 2000-2001 models or are they pretty much the same?

Thanks for any help, I hope get one of these before they're gone.

Jeff K.

#2 ·
It has been my experience with the 5.2/5.9 engines that gas mileage seems to vary from one owner to the next. I think it comes down to driving habits, modifications, and engine condition.
My advice would be to go with the 5.9 engine because of the extra power and torque that would be available. One other factor that will affect the perceived response of these engines is gearing. If both trucks have 3.55 final drive ratios, I would recommend the 5.9. If you plan on towing, I would give the nod to the 5.9. If you are just going to use it as a daily driver with fuel mileage as your main concern, I'm sure the 5.2 would do fine.

Jeff

#3 ·
I agree with RamRod ......... Take the more power. If you don't you will keep saying "I wish I did" I believe DC rate the 5.2 and the 5.9 with the same Fuel Mileage, Not sure but I thought that was the case. I do agree it is all about the driving habits. I can get 10.5 MPG on my hot Rodding Days and I can get 14 - 15 MPG when crusing on trips so it all depends! I average about 11.2.

How I figure it - Dodge or Gas .......... DODGE is my answer! I love my truck!

#4 ·
Several years ago Popular Mechanics got several thousand (I think 14,000 or there-abouts) new Durango owners to fill out questionaires about their vehicles.

The average of the owners reports showed the MPG difference between the 5.2 and 5.9 engines to be less than 1 mpg.

I have software program from Performance Trends called "Fuel Economy Calculator". If I put 1995 Ram truck specs in that are identical except for engine, at a steady 60 mph the 5.2 gets 1.03 mpg better than the 5.9V8.

If I change the diff gears of the 5.9 Ram to 3.21 and leave the 5.2 at diff gears of 3.55, the MPG difference narrows to 0.34 mpg.

If I further change the diff gears of the 5.9 down to 3.06 the MPG difference narrows to 0.08 mpg.

So if you buy a 5.9V8 and don't like the MPG enough that you are willing to trade off the acceleration advantage, you can change the diff gears and make a 5.9V8 behave like a 5.2 !

And if you are now saying to yourself, "Dodge should have put a 0.69 overdrive in the 5.2V8 but used a 0.60 overdrive in the 5.9" you are absolutely correct. We coulda had the best of both worlds.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. I really do like the 2001 better so if so if the engines don't much affect the mileage I'll go with the 5.9L. You're probably right; I would be saying "I wish I had, I wish I had..." if I got the 5.2L. Mostly it's for daily driving (work is 5 miles away, highway), but I've got an awful lot of renovation trash to finally get rid of and a back yard to landscape. The towing package on the 2001 will also come in handy; church has some trailers that we use for outings and such and it would be nice to help out with the towing now and then.

Thanks again,
Jeff K.

#6 ·
I actually got better mileage with a 5.9 in a '99, than a 5.2 in an - '01. The '99 was a standard cab shortbox, the '01 was a club cab. The '99 was 1mpg better, but is was a lighter truck.

Rusty

#7 ·
My SS/T with 3.55 and good size wheels and tires gets b/w 17.5-18.5 on the hwy, 15 around town. And with the 5.9 and everything else box-stock, it runs 16.2 @84 mph...which beats my friends 5.2 ram that gets the same mileage, but runs low 17's..

#10 ·
take whatever one you like the best. the 5.9 only has 15 more horsepower, big whup. I believe my 5.2 Dakota will eat most R/T's. If they made a 5.9 with the 5 speed, I may have waited, but I wanted a stick. The automatics are very parasitic.

#11 ·
Well, the decision is made. I went to look at the 5.9L today and ended up buying it. It had a lot more extras than I initially thought from the website ad, and Dodge Certified has a decent 8/80K warranty so I'm pretty pleased. Talk about a step up, though (literally), going from a Hyundai Excel to a Ram <G>.

Thanks for the help guys,
Jeff K.:D

#12 ·
Im glad to see you got the 5.9!! I went from a 5.2 Dakota, (crashed it good!) to a 5.9 QC Ram and I cant notice more than 1mpg max (in city, stop and go rush hour) difference! I think you'll enjoy the bigger engine in your Ram, the 5.2 is good for a dakota, but for the size of your Ram truck, esp when you got something on your backend, I think the 5.9 wins.

Im enjoying mine!!

Dodged Eigoh

#13 ·
My buddy has a '97 Ext.cb sb with a 5.2 and he get about 12 highway. I have a reg cab sb with the 5.9 and I get about 18 highway. The only mod that he has done that I have not is that he has a Jet Chip. Go figure!!!

#14 ·
It comes down to which truck you like better! I have a '96 ram club cab, 5.2L, 4X2, SLT, heavy duty towing pkg, 265 75R 16 Firestone Steeltex II's and I woulnd't trade it for anything. The Mileage is ok, but if I wanted milage I would have bought a Neon. Plus I blew the doors off my buddy's '94 Silverado with a 350. Now he bought a '98 Ram with a 5.9. Looks like its off to the races again.

#15 ·
My father in laws 2000 5.9 used to avg around 18 combined ( not towing). My 2000 5.2 avg around 15.
I would suggest, bad as I hate to admit it, that my father in law is a more economical driver, or else I do more short trips. It is less than 10 miles from my house to the office. In law is retired and "Whatevever, he does what he wants".
Something to think about is the towing. My 5.2 will pull anything his will pull at the same speeds. But, if I accelerate hard under a load I get ping. Ping is bad.
Go with the 5.9 all else being equal

#16 ·
my friend has a 2000 dodge ram sport reg cab short bed w/5.2
mine is a ext cab w/5.9 we both get about the same in mileage 12-14 avg.
i let him drive my truck and even though mine is a heavier truck it performs better. than his he wishes he would have paid $2000 more and gotten the 5.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.