DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark Plugs/ Cap and Wires

5K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  RAM MAN 
#1 ·
I am going to replace my plugs, cap, rotor, and wires on a 5.9L 360ci v8...... any suggestions from y'all on what works best in that chrysler engine for plugs, rotor, wires? Or what works good (ie brand, package, etc) overall? I understand that there isnt a ton of difference between spark plugs, (minus the split or gold versus regular), etc., but this is my DODGE!.... No fooling around here! :)

Thanks for your input!

Dodged Eigoh

#3 ·
Plugs are subjective. Many people swear by Autolites (3923's). I have run them as well as Champion truck plug and did notice much of a difference.

Cap and rotor - The only things to look for are brass contacts inside the cap and on the rotor.

Wires - Low impedance (50 to 100 ohms per foot) Good solid silicon jacket and plug boot - In this case size does not mean quality. Mopar makes a good performance wire that is only 7.5 mm. Many brands make good wires - Color is probably the biggest factor in determining which brand you get.

Go to Summit Racing and check out what they have to offer.

http://store.summitracing.com/main.asp?ssid=1LSENBC8WJ83DJ4CU21NXF6G36

#4 ·
Thanks for your help! I did some research on here as Ram Man recommended and looked around a bit. It's off to the parts store....! I know what Im doing this weekend!

Thanks again,
Dodged Eigoh

#5 ·
I don't care what anyone says, Dodge's like autolite plugs period. none of the fancy platinum 4 tip jobbies. I've tried everything, and the autolites work the best, and last the longest.

#6 ·
I just finished doing the Accel cap, rotor, and NGK sparkplugs on my 98 Ram. Even though the factory units only had 20k miles on them, they were almost 4 years old and needed replacing. I noticed a smoother idle and better throttle response after I finished. I got all of it from Summit. Best money I've spent on it in!

Jeff

#7 ·
I agree with ramrod on the NGK plugs. I've gone through the whole line of "name" plugs, and the NGKs perform the best in my truck. My previous set was gapped at .035, but am going to go .040 this time per ramrod and RAM MAN's suggestion. Thanks!
Steve

#8 ·
I went to the parts store to get a new brass cap and rotor for my 2001 Ram QC w/318. The guy said the 2001 doesn't have a cap and rotor, uses some new type of distributor. Is that true? Obviously I don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks.

#9 ·
NGK's are definitely the way to go. Ive put them in a '92 S-10 and a '93 dakota, both with very noticable results. I now use them in everything I own and would recommend anyone take the pepsi challenge.

#10 ·
I have been to 3 different auto part stores in my area and they all tell me that Accel does not make a cap and rotor for my truck. I have a 96' 2wd 1500 w/ 5.9. Does any one make a part number or the name of a place I can get them from?

Thanks

#11 ·
[)oclgeFre4k said:
I have been to 3 different auto part stores in my area and they all tell me that Accel does not make a cap and rotor for my truck. I have a 96' 2wd 1500 w/ 5.9. Does any one make a part number or the name of a place I can get them from?

Thanks
Call 1.800.230.3030 (Summit Racing) and ask them -

in the catalog it does not show a part number, but it is listed as

"Accel Performance Cap and Rotor Kit" as the one with brass inserts .....

I could be wrong, but I think the NAPA part number is MO29 for the cap and MO26 for the rotor if you want to call your local NAPA guy

thats the ones that fit in my '98 and I cant imagine its any different for yours .....

Let me know if it is -

Hope this helps

#14 ·
Get the NAPA cap and rotor they have brass contacts and a lifetime warranty. I did have a problem with the screws that hold on the cap, they were stuck in the distributor. They did break and I could not drill them out, in the end I put in a new distributor. Either hit them with a penetrating oil or be easy if they dont turn easy. It was a pain to put that distributor in, you cant see back there. All that room in there and the distributor has to be under the cowl.

#16 ·
I went to the local Napa and they said the book claims the correct Autolite plug for a 00 5.9 V8 is the 5224 plug, not the 3923? Is this an optional plug? Why use this over the recommended Autolite 5224 in the book? Thanks!

#17 ·
The #5224 is equivelant in heat range to the stock Champion.
That is why the Autolite cross referances to the Champion.
The #3923 is a colder plug that works wonders (on stopping
pinging) if you have a Mopar Perf. PCM or other computer
tuning that advances the timing.

#19 ·
Hey 99RAMMAN,

So I cannot use the 3923's without a MOPAR Perf. PCM, etc that advances the timing?? I put the 5224's in my truck, and the guy at the napa gave me two generations of spark plugs, ie they look different. ANyways, I am down almost a mile per gallon in gas mileage! I am thinking about trying something else this weekend and do the 8 wires and brass rotor and cap at the sametime. I would like to do the 3923's as most people agree they are better, but can you do it on a factory engine??

THANKS!

#20 ·
Go with the NGK's;)
I have seen a lot of trouble with autolites, you guys do remember that this is a Ford brand of spark plug don't you??:)

My 2¢:)

#23 ·
Ok, now I am confused! :) Nothing new. I looked up the spark plugs online for NGK's at Napaonline.com and got NGK7252 as the correct plugs, not the 2262 ZFR5F-11! Is it ok to use the 2262 ZFR5F-11's in a 2000 5.9L V8 factory engine??

Thanks,

Dodged Eigoh

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.