What are you paying for transmission tune-up? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2005, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
el vato chivato

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What are you paying for transmission tune-up?

My Dodge dealer periodically sends me coupons for different maintenance services such as oil changes etc. Today I received a coupon for a $89.00 transmission tune-up so I called to schedule a service date. When I told him that this was for a 2001 4X4 he then told me that the price for my truck would be $150.00. This is not for a transmission flush but simply for a fluid drain, new filter and band adjustment. He also told me that they do not do transmission flushes on low mileage transmissions (40,000) and advised me against it. I did not argue but it seems that his advice goes against everything that I have been reading on these boards.

My question to you all is this...
Should I stay away from this dealer and find another dealer who will do the flush or is he correct in his advice to me. Also, what are you all paying for a simple transmission tune-up? I hesitate to take my truck to any of the transmission shops such as AAMCO, etc.
Quick Reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2005, 07:59 PM
2001ramoffroad

I just had mine done at AAMCO- it actually feels like it made a difference, shifts smoother and more accurately-if that's possible, have 42,000 miles on mine. Costs was 64.95 but when they got started they said the ATF+4 was 17.00 more- so I got it for about 85.00 total.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-20-2005, 08:37 PM
eazyasone23

i paid about $75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-20-2005, 08:53 PM
canyonD

I would strongly advise against a flush. Everything that I have read on the forums for the past few years seeem to indicate that a flush can do far more harm than good. It often dislodges particles that get trapped in bad places in the tranny and can lead to a partial or full overhaul on the tranny.

Go with the drain, fill, filter, band adjustment. Sounds like the dealer is doing a bait and switch on the service versus the advertised price.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-21-2005, 07:23 AM
danno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonD
I would strongly advise against a flush. Everything that I have read on the forums for the past few years seeem to indicate that a flush can do far more harm than good. It often dislodges particles that get trapped in bad places in the tranny and can lead to a partial or full overhaul on the tranny.

Go with the drain, fill, filter, band adjustment. Sounds like the dealer is doing a bait and switch on the service versus the advertised price.
On the contrary, it IS a good idea to flush the tranny. As long as the flush is done BEFORE the tranny work. This way, any particles will be removed when the pan is dropped.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-21-2005, 07:30 AM
canyonD

What tranny work? I am basing my comments on others that have experience problems after routine flush with no tranny work.

What are you basing your recommendations on? I dont have personal experience, just have foolowed the posts on the issue for a few years and it appears that almost everyone that had a flush had problems.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-21-2005, 09:00 AM
danno1

By tranny work, I`m referring to a maintenance service. Not a problem job.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Harley Ram

I must agree w/ canyon. A couple buddies are life long mechanics. One guy is a legendary tranny man in our area. His advise to me has been not to flush for the fact off floating a bad piece of crap to a good place for a rebuild. Now, maybe he has said that about my trannies because of higher miles ie 60,000 plus on the vehicles I have had him service.

I have heard several stories about engine oil changes like "never did that till I changed oil" No, these guys never heard of changing oil on a regular basis though. But the tale rings true as far as moving a piece of debris from a remote spot into a critical area.

Let sleeping dogs lie.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in