DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Losing Voltage D250 '93

763 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  wagco 
#1 ·
My truck started having voltage problems and drained the battery while running, I replaced the alternator with a rebuilt, the got a voltage regulator , which I just took out- was giving transmission a hard time , replaced the computer, and today after all that it did it again! Any ideas. Maybe bad rebuilt alternator|???

Grr

#6 ·
On a '93? I think Dodge had gone to the Nippondenso alternators with integral regulators by that time. I know the alternator on my '94 B250 has an integral regulator.

#7 ·
ok- here's what the deal was-
1. The volt reg is in the power module
2. after all that I took it to the Dodge Dealership - it was the " Cranking sensor" what ever that is ... $300 + $300 for a new belt tensioner. CHarged up the *ss but it fixed the problem completely.
Next truck will have NO COMPUTERIZED PARTS..
Rwag

#8 ·
The crank sensor sends a signal to the ECM (computer) telling it when to fire the coil. You don't turn the distributor to set base timing anymore...the ECM handles this and the crank sensor is there as a reference.

$300 for a crank sensor is highway robbery and so is $300 for a belt tensioner. Your local parts store sells these parts for under $100 ea.

#9 ·
Crank Sensor

It's a Deisel so it's different already, as for highway robbery. True the parts are less, but I didn't have to do the work and I didn't lose any more time from work or have to rent a car. The problem was also solved , which is good because I had run out of things to look for.
Thanks
RW

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.