DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Want another 3inches

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  madmikeismad 
#1 ·
So far, I'm gonna go with 3 over coil springs in the front to supplement the 2 inch spacers, for a total of 5inches in the front. What else will I need besides control arms?

For the rear, I want to add a leaf (3inches). Whats the difference in ride quality between a long leaf and the short leaf? Is there any other differences? They are the same price. What else will I need in the rear besides u-bolts?

EDIT: And I plan on running bilstein 5100's. Are those still the majority favorite for shocks? I also plan on getting everything from TGC.

#3 ·
I could have so much fun with this post...I mean who wouldn't want 3 extra inches...:ugh

Seriously, Trackbar...have to something about that. Lukes link ain't gonna cut it in the big leagues.
Long leaf over short. Short leaves have to have more tension to re-arch the entire spring pack
I like BDS's AAL not the cheapest but you get a spacer you can put between the leaf pack and your cargo spring for more flex, or on the bottom of the pack. The BDS AAL is a long leaf...or was.
Other misc items might include longer bumpstops, brake lines, and limit straps.

#4 ·
I'm not too worried about brake lines, they have so much slack as it is already.
I'll go with a long leaf.
What had to be different about the trac bar? Is it shaped different or what?

#5 ·
Well when you start adding inches, your track bar A. becomes too short and B. Is at an angle that is out of it's ability to work in.
Thus your axle is off center in relation to your frame rails and your track bar can't do it's job of resisting bump steer.
You can purchase an aftermarket track bar from several sources, or a bracket that will recenter the bar (and make it parallel to your axle like the factory had it.) too.
The bracket invokes passionate discussion amongst us Ram owners, because there's only one worth talking about. I believe Tough country makes it, and it has an extra bracket that attaches to the streering box bolt on the frame. The cheaper bracket lacks this feature and has a reputation for coming loose.
Y'know, speaking of parallel linkages and bumpsteer, I forgot to mention installing a drop pitman arm.

#6 ·
I'm getting ready to do this exact thing (to my truck). I will only be installing 3" skyjacker springs in the front and AAL in the rear. I'll be going with short ones because the long leafs have to be installed in between the existing leafs which means you have to completely disassemble the packs. I've read this is a pain to do. Short leafs just go under the pack above the load leaf. Sounds way easier to me. I'm thinking going with Skyjacker leaf R222 (2" lift) or the Pro Comp 13120 (1-1/2 to 2"). The former is about $90 and the latter $35. Not sure if the Skyjacker is worth the extra dough.

#7 ·
Don't forget about sway bar drops, and yes trac bar, control arms, drop pitman and brake lines should be OK for 5". Also the Bilstiens are OK I run them.

#8 ·
i love my tuff country swaybar endlinks. You will need a new track bar(I like DT profab). Im sure you have plenty of slack in the break lines but you will beed some small easy to make brackets to move the axel break line mount up. And as you know CAs. I love my skyjacker full leafs for the back.

#9 ·
Elliott, you mean the bilsteins are OK, but not great, or ok as in you couldn't be happier?

reddot, I think me and you are gonna have to meet up to make this work. I don't have a lot of experience with all the front end stuff. I will supply all the beer too :D

#10 ·
So complete list of parts for 3 inch suspension so far:

Leaf - $200 +/-
Coils - $200 +/-
swap bar drops - ?
trac bar bracket - ?
Drop Pitman - ?
Control Arms - ?

Can you guys fill in the blanks for me? And does anyone sell a complete kit that might be cheaper to buy all together, and has all these parts already? I see some, but they are missing one part or another.

#11 ·
I think the bilstiens are good changed from pro comp to them and so far like them better. Only other shock I ran on my truck is skyjacker ones which are Monroe I think. I would just buy a kit as it is designed to work together.

#12 ·
I'm just worried that if I get a kit, it might not have all the best parts, or might leave a part out that isn't absolutely required, but that I might like to have. And if one company makes one part better, then I can get that part. Like how some have spacers instead of coils, or short leafs instead of long.

And this way I can piece it together as the money makes itself available. Maybe it would just be best to call TGC and piece it together through them, or get a kit through them. Do they give discounts for DT members?

#13 ·
Yes they offer us a discount remember to tell them you are a dodge talk member I keep forgetting to tell them.

#14 ·
IMO and I must stress that this is my opinion. With spring over solid axel trucks kits are b.s. Ive ened up swaping most the parts out for better ones. Kits are cheaper if you keep all the parts from it and dont upgrade.

Its game on Mike. Ill turn some nuts and bolts with yeah. If its nice enough I can ride my bike up so we can use your shop or ill just take my bros cobalt:)YUK:).

#15 ·
Well I am still using my front coils and the bigger block from my complete lift everything else was replaced with something better.

#16 ·
I still have my CAs(want to replace with dick cepek LA kit), springs front and back will stay. Well Maybe some day ill swap out the rears for something bigger. everything else was replaced.

#18 ·
I love solid axel suspensions. :D warm fuzzys

#19 ·
Who needs rent live in the truck.

#22 ·
#23 ·
Here's a few of mine sorry the best ones I have it it Rock Krawler brand.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.