DodgeTalk Forum banner

1967 Dodge with ‘72 Chrysler 318 v8 5.2L craps out

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ray Bell 
#1 ·
Help with my son’s truck! We’ve recently replaced the coil and fuel pump as it would crank but not turn over. After finally getting the correct order of the distributor wires, it fired up and ran for a day. The following day it fired up but stalled after five minutes in the drive way. Won’t turnover since. Anyone have advice? Spark plugs are all new and show spark when tested. So frustrated.

#3 ·
I suspect you mean 'crank but not start (or run)', as if it's 'cranking' it is by definition 'turning over'...

Could it be severely flooded?

If that's a possibility then pull the plugs and turn it over a few times to allow the cylinders to clear of the flooding. My van did this a few times, I think it's something to do with the auto choke preventing enough air to get in when it floods after a short cold run, then it continues to overfuel.

#4 ·
Thank you! You were right it cranks but doesn’t start. Last night we finally got it to start. I checked the choke, it wasn’t flooded, the fuel pump, distributor and spark plugs are all new. It fired up this morning and 20 miles down the road at a stop light it just died and would fire back up. We pushed it to a side street and now have to have it towed. I don’t see a choke knob in the cab so other than viewing it from above it appears to be working. I don’t know what to check next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.