DodgeTalk Forum banner

1998 B3500 Steering issues?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  punkstarkitch 
#1 ·
So I have a '96, 2 '98, and 2 '01 ram vans. The '98s seem to have a way different steering feel than the others. Much more wander or "float" in the steering feel. Not sure if it's a different suspension setup or just the way these vans perform. I know the '98 vans seem to be a transition model year.

Anyone notice the same or have any insight on whether it is fixable? At least on one of my '98s still the same after new tires and alignment as well as ball joint and tie rod ends.

thanks. pete

#2 ·
I have a the 98 B3500 and my van feels the same way. I no have reference/feel of driving the other models.
Last year, I changed upper and lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods, sway bushings, shocks, and did an alignment, but the van still feel like it's floating.
My next course of action is to change the steering box. We'll see how that does.
I've gotten use to how this van drives and when friends borrow it, they suck the seat cushion cause they're not use to it.
M

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I have a the 98 B3500 and my van feels the same way. I no have reference/feel of driving the other models.
Last year, I changed upper and lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods, sway bushings, shocks, and did an alignment, but the van still feel like it's floating.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
For me, it was my springs. When I changed them out the van stopped floating, tracking weird and steering feel improved 50+%

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.