DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

can a Cummins run on cooking oil?

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  OleTomCat 
#1 ·
Hi,

let me start by saying that I don't have a Cummins and all I know about this engine is that is the BEST diesel engine in the world :)
My next truck is going to be a Ram with Cummins unless I can manage to put a Cummins in my 1500.
I have a friend in PA who convert a little car with diesel engine to run on cooking oil... I know there is a lot of filtration involve..

My question is, can a Cummins run with cooking oil?
if so, anyone here done it?

thanks..

#5 ·
if it's a VP or VE engine, no....that stuff can shear the rotor on the pump if ya run it too thick...

if you get a 12 valve p pump, yes...hell they'll prolly run on water...haha

#7 ·
just be sure you filter the hell out of it...and i'd run it at the most 50/50 w/ #2 in the summer...winter a lot less

#8 ·
#11 ·
#9 ·
Here is a quote from the above page:

Costs and prices: Most people in the US use about 500 gallons of fuel a year (about 10 gallons a week), costing about US$1,200 a year at the fuel pump (December 2008 prices). The price per gallon is $2.40 in this example, I think it is currently higher.

Petro-diesel costs at least twice as much in the other industrialised countries (in the UK in December 2008 it cost the equivalent of US$5.74 for a US gallon of petro-diesel), but drivers in those countries generally use less fuel than drivers in the US do.

Biodiesel homebrewers using waste vegetable oil as feedstock make biodiesel for 50 cents to US$1 per US gallon, so their 500 gallons a year costs them $250-500, while a good processing system can be set up for around $100 and up.

An SVO system costs from about $500 to $1,200 or more. So, if the vegetable oil is free, with an SVO system you'll probably be saving on fossil-fuel prices within a year, not a long time in the life of a diesel engine. But you'll probably still be saving less than the biodieselers.

#10 ·
I run it in my ppump, about 20/80 wvo/diesel mix, only in warm weather. I could probably run higher, but it's a hassle collecting it all. I prefer wmo. If you get the proper wvo setup, with heaters, and tanks and the whole she-bang, you can run veggie on the vp pump too. It's just gonna cost money. But if you can get the wvo free, or really cheap, it pays for itself very quick.

To filter it and just mix with diesel, I just run it through a series of sock filters, 50 -->10 --> 1 micron. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.