DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1500 Lift with axle swap quetions.

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Davcruz 
#1 · (Edited)
So i decided to quit thread jacking and start my own since im really thinking seriously on this build now.

I have a 99 1500 Quad cab short box non offroad package with an HBS 2.5" leveling kit aleady installed... 360, auto. Want to build a 390 stroker.

Plans are,
Dana 60f, 70r. Looking for maximum of 4" of lift. Ive been told both ways on the leafs from 1500 to 2500 so ill just have to get into that later on. I will not be using blocks i will aal it.
So heres where i have quetions. Im going to be puting a heavy duty winch bumper on, Some have suggested getting lift springs for a 1500 would this still be a good idea? I looked at the 2500 springs in this setup to support that extra weight.

I will be running a 35x10.50x15 TSL SSR. Plans are 4:10's and Air lockers but will this be enough to regain what im losing with tire size? I want to gear match front and rear and use dynatrac hubs in front. Wich Brings another question to mind... Will the 1500 spindles bolt to the 60?

I really do not want ot lose using the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern if i do oh well then i have to plan ahead and build off of a 16" wheel. and be rady to buy 16 wheels when i do the swap. It would just be nice to plan ahead since i am looking at right now going ahead and running 35x10.50's in the meantime with my 2.5" kit. I already know i may rub but with the backspacing it may not.

Also if you really think keeping the 44f and 9.25r will be enough for what im planning and can just beef them up internaly im all for it. Im just looking for opinions and ideas.

This will be a daily driver and will see offroad quite frequently.

See less See more
#2 ·
Heres a couple pics to see what im working with...

#3 ·
To start for you, if 35x10.5 will be the max you will run then I don't see why you really HAVE to upgrade the to 60/70 combo. The D44 will be alright 96% of the time although breaking a shaft is a possibility it is slim. If you have the time and the means doing the 60/70 swap is certainly not a waste but not entirely needed.

The "C"s on the D60 outer are bigger than a D44 so I don't think the knuckle will fit and allow running the 5x5.5 hub.

I would run 1500 coils and leafs even if you do the axle swap. They cost less and you have a 1/2 ton, why even worry with the 3/4 ton. Also, you will need new shackles to fit the 3" wide 2500 leaf packs.

The 4:10's will be fine for the 35's, but 4.56 will be even better. That is your call.

#4 ·
Ok, Basicly what i was after except (always that one point), I want a heavy duty winch bumper on the front. Im looking to be able to actualy support it. I think i have kinda strayed away from the 60/70 plan after today and rethought it all after I had a lil fun and put a dirtymax to shame. My Boss has an 03 D-Max, fuel system had air in it and it gelled up. I towed him across town i found it hilarious that a Mostly stock 1/2 ton Gasser towed a 1 ton dually club cab diesel across town and didnt even know it was behind me.

Anyway back to point. I just plan on Making the 44/9.25 setup stronger... I just need a lil help in the right direction of where to find info on Where to find HD parts. Im looking for Ball Joints, Drag link's, and so on. I know wheel bearings i have no choice and thats ok with me they arent that hard to change. For track bar ive heard somthing about using 3rd gen parts too and if somebody can point me in that direction and the direction of said parts id be much apreciative.

I figured the 1/2 ton suspension would be sufficant and im looking at 90% Skyjacker parts NO BLOCKS. Bilstein shocks. and would like to find a swaybar quick disconnect, But idk if they have it for our trucks or not. Limit straps are somthing im looking into also. Ive kinda strayed away to doing a 4" and staying with a 33x10.50 just so i have room for flex (i know it is kinda a longer wheelbase for this but im not going crazy just have a lil more fun on trails).

Sorry as i am kinda new to the world of solid axles Previous Chevy IFS owner. Its all a new learning curve to me this being my first dodge. I have had the truck since July and had well Mostly smiles until i break it. Not as big inside but has so much more power than my 6.0 Silverado.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear about the IFS thing. ha-ha.

You can eliminate the unit bearings on your D44 with a Dynatrac free-spin kit or others of similar design. That will give you locking front hubs and the ability to use LO Range WITHOUT have the front wheels spinning which is a nice thing.

As for HD type axles I am sure Dynatrac has them also.

The SJ stuff is good, there is better but it cost a BUNCH more. Tough Country Jeep TJ disconnects are a bolt-on for your truck also.

You can run 305/75-16's with 4" of lift and have good flex.

You can certainly run a 3rd Gen tack bar with an adapter from Thuren Fab or others. Thuren also has a nice 0-4" adjustable track bar that I highly favor and it uses the stock mounting point on the frame and axle, no adapters needed.

#6 ·
What about the Steering components? Will the Bigger parts from a 2500 fit my truck? What about ball joints same thing? Its in need of new ball joints as it is right now and Whats a good replacement that will also hold well in strength? If the parts need to be replaced id rather upgrade then replace with stock parts whenever possible. Just want it to be stout and take some abuse before giving out on me.

#7 ·
The 98-99 1 ton HD steering setup is a bolt-on. For the ball joints the 3/4-1 ton will not fit. I went with Spicer Professional grade on my 1/2 ton and they are nice ball joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.