DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4 Banging?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  hemihead2 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to the site and it seems like there are a lot of people here with lots of knowledge i have a 2000 ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9l in it, the truck has high km's 270xxxkm's and drives perfectly but when i engage the truck in 4x4 and start driving there is a loud bang every like 10-15 feet, it honestly feels like the truck is snapping out of gear and back in, and it gets worse with more acceleration, anyways i had a jeep YJ with the same problem ended up being a broken shift fork on the front axle actuator just wondering if anyone has heard of or seen anything like this on these rams, before i commit to taking the actuator out of the front axle (seized bolts) so i just wanna hear of any quick fixes or other options before i battle the seized bolts on the actuator. thanks a lot for the help you guys are great.

#4 ·
00RamMan00 said:
but when i engage the truck in 4x4 and start driving there is a loud bang every like 10-15 feet, it honestly feels like the truck is snapping out of gear and back in, and it gets worse with more acceleration,
Driveline WINDUP by itself?, or WINDUP causing a weak chain/actuartor to jump or slip as noted above in posts 2+3. Are tires even (size/ pressures/wear). Gearingggggg? HARD DRY ROADS?

#5 ·
well im not sure, it is on dry pavment but not while turning i know these arent meant to be run on dry pavement in 4x4 but when i was buying the truck i wanted to test the 4x4 and it did this, im a second year apprentice and have full access to a garage 24/7 so i figured i would fix it i just wondered if there were any common things that cause this symptom on the rams, before i get into it and spend a day diagnosing it. i figure you guys seem to have alot of knowledge about these beasts so keep the thoughts coming and im sure ill find it before the snow flys. tires are fairly new and all good pressures. gearing im not sure of the ratio but havent changed anything since i bought the truck 5 months ago, (have no past history)

#7 · (Edited)
00RamMan00 . dry pavment . gearing . (have no past history)[/QUOTE said:
. I agree with mastertech. Check FR to RR;weights/SLR, rim widths. A bad spring??

#8 ·
I'm betting that someone swapped the rear gears somewhere up the line. With that many miles on it anything is possible. Also could the axle u-joints be that bad? cap(s) missing?

#11 ·
Do the front/rear tire diameter match? Just wondering if a big enough difference would cause the problem. Its evident that there is enough "give" in the system when the surface is slippery not the case with dry surfaces, however. How about tight L/R turns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.