DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it worth it?

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  dodge4x4ram318 
#1 ·
I currently have 265-75-16s and I am looking to buy new tires. Is it worth while to step up to 285s? I have 3.55 gears.

#8 ·
Same here, 2in lift plenty of room for the 285s with no rubbing....I may go to 305s or 315s next

#9 ·
i would go with the 315s... i wish that i would have

#10 ·
One issue, I don't know how common it is though.

I have a 2500. I did a 2 in spacer, and I fit 35's no problem. I know any bigger, and they would rub. Now that it's cold though, the shocks don't support the truck as well, and it rubs now. Sometimes just turning regularly, not even at full lock. Just keep that in mind, you may need new shocks.

I know they say you should go longer anyways, but some guys leave the stock ones on, like me :D

#11 ·
Wow never heard about the shocks doing that. Do you have factory shocks I have a extra set of stockers laying arround

#13 ·
I am interested int his too. I would like to hear more about impacts to power and mileage on trucks equipped with the 318. I have 265/75's now, so it is not a huge step up but every point of mileage counts.

#14 ·
I just did this last Sept and while the look is finally what these trucks need, I can tell the power is less. It does have "longer legs" now with the larger rotating mass of the tire. It seems to hold speed on the hwy better and I don't have to shift as soon while speeding up. Definitely have to use more pedal to speed up but haven't noticed a loss in mpg yet.

#15 ·
Thanks for the thoughts so far. Any diffrence in the way the truck handles in the sonw?

#16 ·
if you go wider, it will handle worse on the ice/snow. Taller won't hurt though. I'm running 35x12.5 and they float on the ice. Sometimes though, in 4wd, they stick like glue on everything. I don't know why they suck sometimes, and are awesome other times. Mine work great though off-road in the snow.

#17 ·
If you run the same tread yes wider is usually worse in snow but more imported is tread design in snow.

#18 ·
im running a 285 and not a huge difference in power loss. I seem to do just fine in the snow, mud, and on road. Its alot of personal preference. I like a skinnier tire in my preference. Ive heard with the levels you can fit a 35. my truck looks like i can fit them but the 285 looks good as it sits.

#20 ·
The 285's are great, they just look and feel right but, I wish I had 4.10 gears. 3.91's are oem in my ram, just a bit short geared to my liking, but not enough to keep the 285's off. Someday I will upgrade the diff's... I know I would not be liking 3.55 gears....

#21 ·
Even with my 3.55's its not all too bad. I can still Spin these Bigger tires no problem. Fighting snow and steep hills it will still get all 4 goin.

#22 ·
DukEric!
Do you have any pics of your truck?

#24 ·
i have 285s now and i did when my truck was stock didn't rub and had room i wish i went bigger, now i have the 2.5 " hbs and im going with 35s

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.